What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring a tail light in RV 6 ?

Python

Hi, I’m looking at wiring a tail strobe/ nav in a flying RV 6 & am looking at suggestions as to how to run the wires to the panel. I have manual elevator trim & was thinking of zip tying the wires to the cable & running the wire all the way along the trim cable to the bottom of the panel ? .. Also what do people use to prevent damage to fuselage or ribs while crawling in the back of the aircraft for these jobs ? Open to any other suggestions. Regards 🐍

Attaching wires to a movable control cable does not sound like good practice to me.
Throw 2x4’s or plywood over the ribs, throw old blankets on top of the wood, crawl back.

The trim cable is a coaxial push/ pull cable with no motion on the outside. It is common to strap wires to this on the way forward and quite acceptable. Between the seats where things get routed together you won’t have much of a choice. Where the cable runs through the tunnel, be sure everything is well secured (adel clamps preferred) and check clearances with the elevator control rod throughout its travel.

As far as crawling back, cut plywood to fit the full width in the flat areas of the rib flanges. You need to distribute the weight across the whole flange

Back