What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire SIze to Main and E-bus

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Bare with me I am learning! My system will follow Z12, but it does not list a AWG for the connection form the battery relay to the main buss and from the main bus to the E-buss. Some of the drawings show a 6 AWG from the battery relay to the main bus, but the wire diagram from Van's calls out a 8 AWG. So this got me to thinking how do I determine the size wire that will go here. I understand wires sizing to individual components but how does one figure a wire feeding a bus? Do I take the numbers from my load analysis (only continuous loads) and use that to size the wire? Does the same theory apply for the wire connecting the main bus to the E-bus through the diode?

Lastly due to panel space my main buss is going to be in two rows, how do I make the interconnection between the two, bolt a strip of buss bar material between the bus that holds the CBs. should I connect the two rows of breakers at both ends giving a redundant path to the second row. To be clear my main buss is 2 rows of breakers and the E-buss is one row, for 3 rows total. Thanks for the help.

I also posted this on AEC forum, just using the shotgun apporach!

Back