What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wire runs in wings, how big of hole?

jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I am at the point of enlarging the holes for the wire runs in the wings and wanted to know if the size that the plans call for will accommodate what I plan on doing. I will have an auto pilot servo, electric aileron trim and position lights, strobes and landing lights in the wing tips. Will it all fit, or do I need larger holes and grommets?

Should I start to buy all of this stuff now to test fit it (will delay the wing build a bit I guess) or just make a hole large enough to except whatever..

I searched the RV-10 forums and did not find much.

thanks,

wire runs

I just finished that part on my -10 wings and installed the wires you mentioned plus the coax neccesary for the antennas. I ended up using two different holes running the length of the wing just to fit them all in. I used the biggest plastic grommet in the kit I bought from SteinAir.
Product plug here: that kit of various size grommets is well worth the few bucks it cost. I use it a lot. :D

I also ran three lengths of coax out to each of the wing tips so that I have enough to connect to all the antennas I might eventually need. Too hard to do it later after the wing is buttoned up.

I used.......

light weight 1/2" pvc (not sch 40) for wing wire runs. It is very lite and makes it where you can fish additional wires (which are always needed). Also makes wires easy to fish if you have to takes wings off. I would not run the coax with the wires for the lights, etc. I ran coax in front of the spar, light wires, aprs, ap etc. behind the spar in Pvc run. Seems to work well, no interference.

Your results may vary.

I pulled flexible conduit that I got from Van's. All you need is a 3/4" hole. Here's some pics on my kitlog site. It makes it easy to pull wire later as long as you remember to pull a string back through everytime you run a wire.

bob

I plan to do the lightweight conduit, and string for additional runs.

If you have space, and string, you can always add wire, and not have the weight of wires you might need later.

pulling string through holes that already have wire in them is NOT easy. Even in conduit it's a pain. My advice is to run all you think you need and then some. It can be removed a lot easier later than it is to try and snake some through later. Ask me how I know! :eek:

pulling string through holes that already have wire in them is NOT easy. Even in conduit it's a pain. My advice is to run all you think you need and then some. It can be removed a lot easier later than it is to try and snake some through later. Ask me how I know! :eek:

I disagree. It's not a pain with conduit unless you attempt to insert more wire than the conduit was intended to support. The advantage with conduit is that it will require the exact same amount of effort, regardless of whether or not the bottom skin has been installed.

wing wires

I used the standard gromet run as supplied for the quickbuild wings and in both left and right wings I have all the light wires here, 4 shielded wires and 4 non shielded. I plan to use the aveo led light system of embeded wingtip ilghts. In both wings I also ran a 3/4 conduit donw the lightening holes. I anchored it with a 2 tie wrap ancohr. I first drilled a 1/8 hole at the bottom of each lightening hole and put in a tie wrap. then run another tie wrap into this one and around the conduit. It pulls the conduit tight against the bottom of the hole. In the left wing I ran my archer antenna coax down the conduit. in the right wing I have my 7 wire autopilt bundle branching out, and the tubing for the AFS AOA. so far thats all I need. Im going to leave a string in the conduit incase I need to pull something else later. picture attached.

100_1930.jpg

Drill'em or hang'em ?

Here is an alternate way to go with QB wings. Hangers from Home Depot and come in 1/2 and 3/4. Should work fine on the flex tubing as well. 3.95 for 6.

Bill S
7a just the wings left :)

Keep power separate

Just wanted to note that planning two runs, as some of you have shown, is an excellent idea. Wires delivering power should be kept separate from sensor wires or antenna runs.

So I got the conduit

Bob,

The conduit is .81" and my holes are 3/4" did you find any easy way to pull it through?

thanks,

I pulled flexible conduit that I got from Van's. All you need is a 3/4" hole. Here's some pics on my kitlog site. It makes it easy to pull wire later as long as you remember to pull a string back through everytime you run a wire.

bob

The black flexible conduit from Van's fits in a 3/4" hole. I just ran some more of it in the fuselage using a 3/4" hole.

If you have something different, then I would enlarge the hole slightly with a unibit.

bob

Back