What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire run

JOEPILOT

Hi guys, I've just finished running all wires from front to back. I don't like the bundle under the mixer box. I tried the shield Vans sent with my finish kit, but no matter how I try the mixer control rubs. I know the wiring bundle grew as the plane evolved, but this is really a tight fit. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe, kit #120055

I had the same problem and fabricated my own shield. I also ground a bit (1/16-3/32) off the lower bracket edge for more clearance. You could rivet a doubler to the bracket channel in the relived area if you are concerned about bending strength.

I am also trying to figure out how to route two more RG400 cables for a Nav/Loc antenna in the tail and a Comm 2 antenna. I thought there was a rumor of some new nylon tunnel hold downs with a larger cable opening. I put the ADS-B on the aft side of the read bulkhead, so that eliminated a fourth RG400 in the tunnel. I also added a second cable bracket over the rudder pedal assy for the extra wires.This is a 100% custom wiring job with a few more cables that the standard RV12 avionics kit.

John Salak
Skyview System, GTR200, IFD540, AP, ADS-B, PM3000, ACK E-04

Like some of the others, I fabricated a thin aluminum shield. I too, was NOT happy about that big bundle of wires being so close to a moving part. My wiring ended up very nice, neat, and wire-tied often. However, it still wouldn't lay as flat as I'd hoped, so I made the shield out of scrap alloy. Some of the folks before us had used a wire tie to secure the bundle over to the stiffener in the fuselage. I tried that too, but still didn't get the wires to lay flat enough.

Thicker system blocks

I thought there was a rumor of some new nylon tunnel hold downs with a larger cable opening.

The official Van-supplied ADSM kit did include three new "system blocks" which are 3/8" thick instead of the standard 1/4", with the extra 1/8" inch dedicated to making the rectangular channel larger, thereby allowing the extra coax to fit. My experience was that this made for "just barely" enough thread left on the posts to hold the two halves of these system blocks in place.

Back