What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire routing to tail cone question

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
Hi

I am looking for some general ideas on wire routing to the tail cone. From behind the baggage compartment bulkhead. I need power and control for remote compass module, electric elevator trim, tail/rudder strobe and light.

I am contemplating using the ? light weight corrugated black conduit from VAN. I have fair bit left over from the wings.

Cutting two hole ? on one the left side and one on the right. Similar to the holes for the rudder cables ? but higher up ? above the top stringer. One for signals and one for power for the rudder strobe and tail light ...

Any comment on that or any other ideas ??

My -6 setup

Here is what I did in my -6 build. Been working great for almost 3 years now.
I ran the ELT antenna wire and the tail position light/strobe wires back along the side thru grommets. The rudder cables have white sailboat cable sheathing on them so don't confuse them with a wire run.

I would add that I also ran several additional conduits under each seat for future access. I used string pulls which are taped in place for an easy wire run, when necessary.

24gpqme.jpg

The ELT antenna lead should NOT run through a bulkhead. I should run around it.
In an accident, the bulkhead can crush and cut the antenna lead.

On my RV-7 that I'm building, I used 5/8" irrigation line for wiring conduit in the wings, under the seats and back to the tailcone. It's smooth on the interior so fairly stiff aircraft grade wiring can be run without having to pull it thru with string or fish line. It comes in large rolls at Home Depot here in the states...not sure if it's available in the UK.

Here's how I did mine.

Misc026_zps75485050.jpg

Misc025_zps1213ba82.jpg

ELT antenna lead is in conduit but not through bulkheads.
The black pads are leftover from the firewall insulation. Not required but I added them anyway.

The ELT antenna lead should NOT run through a bulkhead. I should run around it.
In an accident, the bulkhead can crush and cut the antenna lead.

Didn't think of that Mel. Good catch. I'll make that change next time the cone is open. Isn't VAF a wonderful information tool.

I used the corrugated stuff you referenced. I also put a pull wire in, accessible from both ends for pulling more/different wires in later....... which I've done at least three times since I finished phase one (working on my third panel upgrade and just finished a NAV/STRB upgrade).

Thanks guys for the feedback .... It has given me some good ideas to move forward with

Have a great weekend !

ELT antenna thru a bulkhead

Mel's comment caught me at the right time. Running the wires for my ELT and i have one bulkhead that i cant get around. Im planning on using this BNC passthru connector for this. Am i violating any rules with this ?

4fwmdd.jpg

Thanx

That should work fine.
It adds a little weight and a fail point, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Thanx

Thanx Mel - i understand the added weight and points of possible failure. Both of these seem to be of less concern than the bulkhead buckling and cutting the coax rendering the ELT useless, when needed most. I can now finish this without creating more issues for me. ;)

Back