What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire routing past main spar in RV-6

nodgnal51

I am in the process of deciding how to route the wires that run from the tail section, ie aft of the main spar to the area forward of the spar in an RV6. Wires currently identified are pitch trim servo, autopilot pitch servo, strobe switch, possible vor antenna coax. Any thoughts and PICTURES would be welcomed.

Steve

Very Carefully

I worked it progressively to minimize the need for perfect foresight. All of my wiring forward of the main spar that must go to the back side goes through the center of the spar butt joint. I designed and built my simple console out of sheet aluminum which contains all of the wiring going from the instrument panel to the rear of the plane. There are four main routing paths in my airplane aft of the spar:

- left to the fuselage and wing
- right to the fuselage and wing
- aft in the lower right corner of the elevator pushrod channel then outboard through the the rear of the right control channel wall and through the bulkhead under the aft end of the baggage floor outboard of the elevator bellcrank support structure
- aft in the lower left corner of the elevator pushrod channelthen outboard through the the rear of the left control channel wall and through the bulkhead under the aft end of the baggage floor outboard of the elevator bellcrank support structure

The requirements involve invisibility of wiring in the cockpit, clearance from mechanical moving parts, electro magnetic interference, structural strength, abrasion protection from sharp metal edges, physical security from movement of wires that don't have to move and stable but stress freedom of those that do have to move through their full range of motion (control stick wiring). I used snap-in bushings, MS21919DG clamps, some shielded wiring and waxed nylon wire bundle lacing tape in my installation. It is a problem that I gave a lot of thought to so I can understand your concern. I'm fairly sure this has been dealt with in the forum before with a lot of different methods.

Bob Axsom

Depending on where the wiring goes and whether you have a center console, you can use the center tunnel (and it is ok to put a grommet on the other side of the web from the manual trim location), you can pass into the spar bulkhead above the spar at the side skin (can be a little messy and visible if you go just above the seat pans) or under the armrest rib or under the side rails. Once in the spar bulkhead you can go vertically to under one of the forward stiffeners or the forward side rail/panel support (for a tipup; I'm not sure of the structure for a slider). In my -6A I routed the headset wires down the left side rail to the seat brace, the antennae down the right side clear of all other wiring and passing through just below the seat pan, the lighting down the rail on the right, and most other wiring (AP, flap, PTT, etc.) down the center console, through the spar web and into the elevator pushrod tunnel. The big consideration was to keep the antenna cables clear of wires carrying current.

Thanks for your thoughts

All good thoughts. I had considered some but others are new and welcome. Thanks for taking time to respond.

Pretty Much per Wiring Kit Plans

On my RV- 6 I ran the wires down the firewall and across the floor, or down the center console, and then through the spar. It all fitted through the snap bushing - just :)

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

wire4.jpg

Jim Sharkey
Rv-6 Phase 1

RV-6 wire routing past main spar

Just a quick note: Searched for this very subject. I couldn't find an answer on VAF. Found it elsewhere and called Van's to confirm. It is permissible to route the wiring near the center of where the two wing spars meet. You can cut a small oblong piece out of each spar web to create a channel for wiring. I did this and ran the wiring in a flex-conduit like you see in Jim's photos.

What he said...........Worked great.

Just a quick note: Searched for this very subject. I couldn't find an answer on VAF. Found it elsewhere and called Van's to confirm. It is permissible to route the wiring near the center of where the two wing spars meet. You can cut a small oblong piece out of each spar web to create a channel for wiring. I did this and ran the wiring in a flex-conduit like you see in Jim's photos.

Also can route wing wiring with conduit under side floors and loop over the rear spar for light, strobes, etc.

wire routing

If you go through the center, don't forget to cut out the spar web so that you can remove the wings without removing the wires in the center.

Has anyone run wires in another hole just next to the rudder cable cutouts?

Back