What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire Gauge for Resistive Fuel Sender

I am wiring my 7A in anticipation of a Dynon Skyview installation. Can anyone help me with determining the wire gauge necessary for wiring my S-W type resistive senders? Old docs call for 14 gauge, but I'm going to install the Dynon engine monitoring module with the 37 pin connector that has provision for 22 gauge. Thanks.

I am wiring my 7A in anticipation of a Dynon Skyview installation. Can anyone help me with determining the wire gauge necessary for wiring my S-W type resistive senders? Old docs call for 14 gauge, but I'm going to install the Dynon engine monitoring module with the 37 pin connector that has provision for 22 gauge. Thanks.

The SW sender is 33 to 240 ohms.

Even if your system put the whole 12 volts across the sender at its 33 ohm minimum resistance it would create a current of under 400 milliAmps.

22 gauge wire will be fine.

Note that the Dynon will not put this much current through the sender anyway, but 400 mA is an absolute worse case maximum current with a 12 volt system.

Last edited:
Hello sir,
Thank you so much for your response. I read the Dynon installation manual but I couldn't find what it was going to put through the sender, and they didn't recommend any gauge. I also looked at the Dynon FAQ's and didn't see anything.

I thought that it would be really low, but it pays to ask. tonight, the 22 gauge goes in! Thanks again

Back