What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire annunciator light when B&C OVM trips

walkman

Well Known Member
I'm deciding what annunciator lights to include on my panel.

GRT EIS / HXr handles most through the EIS "master alarm" light.

I'd like a few extras. One I'm considering would illuminate when either of the B&C over voltage modules trips.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this?

cheers!

Not really necessary - when it trips it will take the alternator offline and you'll get an under voltage alarm from the EFIS. The exact level is user programmable but usually just above battery only voltage and below alternator voltage.

Sorry, doesn't answer your question but something else to consider. Also, most people use the EFIS alarming rather than the EIS. More parameters and it puts everything in one place. You'll get yellow or red messages right on the PFD and a button to acknowledge them.

Bob

well, I may not get a low voltage depending on

1) where I set the low voltage level and
2) if the OVM for my standby goes, or the the standby field breaker trips for some other reason (e.g. short) but the primary has not failed.

My standby SD8 comes with its own crowbar, fail-light and relay, but a ship-overvoltage condition will trip both the main and standby OVM circuits they way they are wired. That will alert you via the EFIS alarms on dropping voltage, and you'll have to reset the alternators individually to troubleshoot which one is sick. That's do-able, but cumbersome in the heat of the moment. I plan on having ammeter shunts on both alternators so I can see which one is feeding current, and how much, in real time. Information is power.

Back