What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire and connectors

Drippy

Well Known Member
Quick question to the group. Can anyone recommend a shop to purchase connectors and wire? I have put it off as long as possible and now need to start wiring my RV10. Not sure where to start but figured I would wire the lights, trim and from battery first.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Chase
RV10 40644

Be Aware!

Using quality wire and connectors now will save you hours of headaches later. Use Tefzel wire, nylon insulated fast-on connectors, and buy a good crimper...you won't be disappointed.

Steinair

Steinair of course. They have all the wire and connectors you'll need as well as the crimpers.

www.steinair.com

Quick question to the group. Can anyone recommend a shop to purchase connectors and wire? I have put it off as long as possible and now need to start wiring my RV10. Not sure where to start but figured I would wire the lights, trim and from battery first.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Chase
RV10 40644

B & C is a great source of wire. They will spool it for you and, believe me, that's much easier to deal with than unspooled wire. As for connectors, Aircraft Spruce can cover most of your needs, but I also like to keep Mouser handy (I am a big fan of cannon plugs and their selection of CPCs is overwhelming).

Also, in addition to conduit, Aerotronics has, by example, turned me on to braided sleeving. I did not ask what their source was but found this on my own: Techflex at Wirecare.com. I would steer away from the PET and the wraps but the "Flexo Tight Weave should be suitable behind the firewall. Even the PET can be Ok as long as you are sure that fire or chemicals won't be an issue; it's been used in electronics safely for years.

Last edited:
I got the starter kit from Stein and would highly recommend it. It won't be enough to do the complete plane, but gets you an idea of what you're going to need an gives you most of the tools to do everything. I'm still exploring different connectors, but also considering the KISS method and sticking with what others have used that are proven.

Thanks everyone

Just curious did anyone try the Vans' RV10 Wiring harness kit?

BTW Tim I noticed you were in the NCANG any chance you know Paps Mears?

Thanks everyone

Just curious did anyone try the Vans' RV10 Wiring harness kit?

The Vans wiring kit is for a basic vfr airplane - which very few -10's are.
BTW, I'm a fan of color coding. Black = ground, red = 22 gauge, whatever your preferences are.

The Vans wiring kit is for a basic vfr airplane - which very few -10's are.
BTW, I'm a fan of color coding. Black = ground, red = 22 gauge, whatever your preferences are.

I agree completely on both points. I used the Van's harness once, when I had no clue where to even start. I even still refer to the plans from time to time, mainly for mag/start switch and solenoid wiring. It is very basic, however, and there are a lot more helps out there now compared to 10-12 years ago.

Take a good look under and old Cessna panel and see if you can trace a white wire from the panel to the tail light. That will make you appreciate colored wires. Cars are color coded and I don't know if they use the same color and stripe wire 2 places in the same car. Not as many colors are available in Tefzel wire, but use what is available.

A recent project had me looking at plug-type connectors, as I wanted to build some of it as modules. I settled on the Deutsch DT Series...

http://www.deutschconnector.com/products/deutsch_connectors/deutsch_dt_series_connectors/

...and the interchangable Amphenol AT Series:

http://www.waytekwire.com/manf/03/Amphenol/&pg=3

A bit pricey, but both brands are very well made, lock in a positive manner, couple and decouple with a buttery feel, and are highly resistant to liquids. Best of all, the pins and sockets are available in a tubular crimp style, so adding terminals to wire ends is fast and easy. They're just like d-sub crimp pins, only larger. Yeah, you gotta buy a crimper, but there's a $40 dollar red-handled choice just like the ones most of us already have for d-subs.

I really like 'em.

Back