What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtips at trailing edge

PropellerHead

Well Known Member
I've been reviewing the wing construction details on the RV-10 wings on a few builder sites. I am wondering about the area where the onboard trailing edge of the wingtip is near the tip of the aileron.

Is there some filler in the wingtip in that area to close it off and make it rigid? In other words, when you move the aileron up or down, is that area just open?

Check your plans and your kit parts. There are formed aluminum 'tip ribs' that you rivet into the wingtips.

I've been reviewing the wing construction details on the RV-10 wings on a few builder sites. I am wondering about the area where the onboard trailing edge of the wingtip is near the tip of the aileron.

Is there some filler in the wingtip in that area to close it off and make it rigid? In other words, when you move the aileron up or down, is that area just open?

Tip alignment

I have just attached my wing tips. Per previous, the tip is closed out with a rib. Take a hint and don't follow the plans religiously. The flap, aileron and trailing edge all need to be aligned with the flap in the reflex position. Don't match drill the tips until you have set the alignment of the trailing edge properly. I did it per plans and my right tip finished up more than 1/2" below the flap/aileron. If you do nothing, you end up with the tip acting as a mini aileron and a consequent heavy left wing. 10hrs work later and I'm still building up and trimming the trailing edge.

cheers,
Ron
40187 finishing

I have just attached my wing tips. Per previous, the tip is closed out with a rib. Take a hint and don't follow the plans religiously. The flap, aileron and trailing edge all need to be aligned with the flap in the reflex position. Don't match drill the tips until you have set the alignment of the trailing edge properly. I did it per plans and my right tip finished up more than 1/2" below the flap/aileron. If you do nothing, you end up with the tip acting as a mini aileron and a consequent heavy left wing. 10hrs work later and I'm still building up and trimming the trailing edge.

cheers,
Ron
40187 finishing

I wish I would have had this advice over a year ago! Mine was 3/4" to high. I fixed mine in about four hours not including some minor bondo work and paint. It probably could have been done in less than two if we were by a shop and not at the airport. We came up with a very simple and structurally sound fix. If you need to know how to do it let me know.

Tip Alingment

I understand that the aileron, flap, trailing edge need to be in a neutral, relaxed position...but I'm a little dense (sometimes more than just a little)..is there a way to be positive that they are in line?..Do you just run a straight edge off the back of the wing with ailerons attached? This seems so simple, I'm afraid I must be missing something.. The flap to neutral, align to aileron with the flap, and then align the tip with the aileron, right?..

Yep, I think you missed something. The flaps, aileron and wing are set in the reflex position... -3 degrees. This is done by bringing the flaps up to the stops (that should make them -3 Degrees) then aligning the aileron and then the wing tip. I did this with my wings in the stand.....clamped the aileron to the flap and then set the wing tip.

Good luck with the wing tip.....probably because of my lack of skill I had to rework the training edge on both of mine. Not really that hard, just more fiberglass work.....yuck.

I found there wasn't much "adjusting" I could do... the tip just sits in there. One of mine was dead on, but the other is about 1/4" off.

-Rob

Back