What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Mounting

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I see in two places relative to wing installation I am referred to page 23-10 Figure 2 for proper use of the W-00026 Alignment Template. There is no Figure 2 on page 23-10. I even looked online at the digital revisions and don't see it. I need to have the control sticks and ailerons in the neutral position to install the tips. Can someone direct me to the Figure 2 referenced above? It is Saturday and I don't want to wait until Monday to call Van's builder support. Thanks.

I see in two places relative to wing installation I am referred to page 23-10 Figure 2 for proper use of the W-00026 Alignment Template. There is no Figure 2 on page 23-10. I even looked online at the digital revisions and don't see it. I need to have the control sticks and ailerons in the neutral position to install the tips. Can someone direct me to the Figure 2 referenced above? It is Saturday and I don't want to wait until Monday to call Van's builder support. Thanks.

This Fig. is from my version of the instructions for the wing kit (ca. 2019).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.28.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.28.54 PM.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 116
Thanks Alex. That is exactly what I need. For some reason, this figure was deleted on Rev. 2 of this page, even though it is referred to in at least two other pages.

I believe Van's changed the instructions for rigging the -14 sometime after Alex and I rigged our ailerons. From memory they now have you align the the ailerons to the flaps when in the fully up position. Then set the tips to the ailerons. The only place the template is used now is to position the aileron bellcrank. This is possibly similar to the RV-10??
Unfortunately I cannot find any documentation on this. Suggest you investigate further.

I’ve completed that section and Glenn is right, Flaps then Aileron then tips. W-00026 is no longer used. Also note that the W-00026 was revised a while back with no change to nomenclature. Not sure when the revision was made. Worth checking into before you use on flaps.
IMG_0127.jpg
Ailerons are set with W-730
IMG_0128.jpg
The revised W-00026 has a small hole, circled in the attached picture
89FE1BBA-5460-4354-BEAA-5708C8EE4A26.jpg

Last edited:
I am test fitting my wings in my shop to rig the flaps, ailerons and tips before going to the hangar for final assembly. I have good light, good air and good HVAC at my home shop, none of which I have at the hangar. I have the newer template with the extra hole, but was confused by Step 2 on page 24-02 about fitting the tips where it says to use this template to hold the ailerons in position when trimming the tips. I know the -10 and -14 wings have reflex flaps, but it was not clear the ailerons and tips are also set to reflex in cruise. I am going to call Van's tomorrow to confirm the flaps, ailerons, tips sequence, which would put all three in reflex position. I am glad I caught this issue before drilling the mounting holes for the tips. Thanks.

The only thing relevant for installing the tips is as mentioned above.
Flaps full up. Ailerons to match. Tips to match both.
IMHO by far the easiest way to do this is in the wing stand with clamped angles that align all 3 trailing edges exactly in the reflex position. Not with the wings mounted.
The W730 is only used to make sure the bellcrank is in the correct place come rigging time. That’s not relevant for fitting the tips.
In my experience, make the pushrods to length according to plans then forget about it all until final rigging at the airport prior to first flight.
Whatever rigging you do now before the airframe is complete you will redo in the hangar. Guaranteed :)
Good luck.

This is my second RV build, so I know that final tweaking will be required at the hangar. I confirmed with Tony at Vans today that the revised sequence is flaps all the way up (reflex), match up the ailerons and then the tips. So that is what I did today. It would have been easier to do this in the wing stand, but I did not see how to get the flaps in reflex position hanging out in space. Besides, I needed to tweak the aileron-to-control stick push rods as well. Tony was going to advise Engineering to delete the obsolete references to the W-00026 alignment jig.

I found the same thing. Two revision to the plans and the old W-00026 is not used. W-730 just makes sure the Belcrank is in the netural position. Now comes the wing tips. These are painted and we need to remove some paint out of the holes before we proceed.

Back