What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip lights

rulmen

Hello Forum! I am very interested in which LED wingtip lights everyone used. My criteria is preference to use 14 guage wiring and inexpensive. Thoughts? Sorry if answered a hundred times, I didnt see it anywhere.

Last edited:
Do you mean position lights, anti-collision lights, or both?

I used CreativeAir's combo position light kit along with a traditional strobe package in mine. The wire for the position light is only 20 gauge, but of course the strobe head has its thicker bundle as well.

I used these SkyBright lights on my -9. Very good and light setup and I'm happy with them.

However, if I were building today, I would use some Aveo lights, even though they are costly.

Update, I would not recommend the SkyBright lights as they tend to burn out.

Last edited:
Hello Forum! I am very interested in which LED wingtip lights everyone used. My criteria is preference to use 14 guage wiring and inexpensive. Thoughts? Sorry if answered a hundred times, I didnt see it anywhere.

I ran across a new product at www.verticalavionics.com for three components; 1) Strobe Control Unit, 2) Strobe LED package, and 3) Pos light LEDs. The product was so inexpensive in comparison, that I ordered them - and as suggested two of the Red and two Green LEDs. The SCU is here, the other components expect soon. Met the rep at CopperState Fly-in (CGZ) in Oct.

Cannot evaluate yet, but will post an unpdate in a couple of weeks when I get the next opportunity to work in the airplane factory. These seem to need some work to fabricate mounting solutions, but hey -- we build airplanes, how hard can it be?

gary
RV-6A QB - Finishing Kit
www.mykitlog.com/garyc

aeroleds

I used the van's wingtip extrusion on my hoerner style wingtips to install some aeroleds. The result is a nice clean installation. The lights fit on the extrusion perfectly. They are plenty bright on the ground, but it'll be a while before I test them in flight.

photo-5.JPG

I used the Jeff Bordelon LED's with standard strobes from Strobes N More in the tips, and the Kuntzelman LED tail light/strobe combo in the tail...all very economic.

10-22-09-002w.jpg

10-26-09-004w.jpg

10-26-09-005w.jpg

11-9-09-003w.jpg

I used the van's wingtip extrusion on my hoerner style wingtips to install some aeroleds. The result is a nice clean installation. The lights fit on the extrusion perfectly. They are plenty bright on the ground, but it'll be a while before I test them in flight.

photo-5.JPG

James - you picture didn't seem to work. We are currently thinking about getting the extensions for our -3, so I was looking at the Van's catalog. There are two different styles - I was wondering first, which AeroLED's did you go with, and then which tip extension did you use that fit them so nicely?

Edit: Oh that's neat - when I posted your picture in my quote box, it appeared! Looks like you used the Pulsar's? And which extensions are those?

Paul

Paul,

I don't know what wing tips you can use on an RV3, but if your using the old hoerner style (flat top) wing tips then you can use the wing tip extensions for the whelen A600 package. The Aeroled Pulsar's footprint is maybe a tad bigger than the old whelen A600 housing. I'd imagine that the Aeroled NS90 has a similar footprint to the whelen A650 and you could probably use those corresponding wing tip extensions with the NS90 lights. Someone from Van's would be able to give you a more definite answer.

I chose to not have a white light on my rudder so the Pulsar makes more sense.

Here are the wing tip extensions that I used -> Van's Catalog link

Here's a short video clip of the Pulsar's on when I first got them installed on the wing tips -> youtube.

James - you picture didn't seem to work. We are currently thinking about getting the extensions for our -3, so I was looking at the Van's catalog. There are two different styles - I was wondering first, which AeroLED's did you go with, and then which tip extension did you use that fit them so nicely?

Edit: Oh that's neat - when I posted your picture in my quote box, it appeared! Looks like you used the Pulsar's? And which extensions are those?

Paul

Hope that helps!

While at Sun-N-Fun this past year, I spoke to a man selling LED lights that fit the Whelen incandescent nav lights but I can't remember who he is.

Does anyone here know?

He was supposed to put me on his E-mail list for contact info but never heard from him.

Glenn Wilkinson

Paul,

I have a set of the A600 lights that the vans wingtip extensions are made to fit. I would be happy to trace the footprint onto a piece of paper and scan/e-mail to you. Just PM or e-mail me if you are interested.

While at Sun-N-Fun this past year, I spoke to a man selling LED lights that fit the Whelen incandescent nav lights but I can't remember who he is.
Does anyone here know?
He was supposed to put me on his E-mail list for contact info but never heard from him.
Glenn Wilkinson

That would probably be Robert Perigo @ PSA Trimcraft. Aircraft Spruce sells his replacement LEDs for $32.50 ea.
Be very careful with them. The base is very cheaply made. Mine came with the pins dented in. I had to have them replaced. Once I got the replacements, they look and work nicely.

Bonding those extensions

Bonding wingtip extentions into place, especially for the first time builder who wants to do the job right yet has little fiberglass experience....can be a needlessly challenging, time consuming task. I thought this would be a good time to recycle a short slide presentation that visually describes how to do the job in a professional easy to understand way. I followed the slide presentation when bonding the wingtip extentions on my -8 and compared to the cruder way I bonded the extentions to the -6A (before the tutorial became known to me), this technique proved faster and easier. The result is a nice clean look:

http://www.aerosu.com/slide.htm

Back