What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip lights/antennas - install on bench?

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
It's going to be a few days/weeks until I can get some help installing each of the wings in turn to complete rigging, etc., so I'm thinking of working on the lighting/antenna systems in the wingtips on the bench meantime.

Any advice for doing this? I have the Van's standard taxi and landing lights and the Aveo Pos/Nav LED lights, plus the Archer VOR/GS antenna for the right wingtip. Anything to watch out for, tips, tricks, "gotchas", etc.? Seems like it should be pretty straightforward to do this, but just wanted to ask before i started cutting holes and drilling and whatnot...

TIA...

Steve

Leave enough wire to make the connection to the wires comming out of the wing, while the tip is sitting upside down on top of the wing.
Then you will always have enough "service loop" to be able to install / remove the tips with out damage to the lights & antennae.
Don't forget to install the aluminum rib in the back of the tip :eek: like I did.
But you want to install it in assembly with the wing, like when you drill the tip to the wing and install all those plate nuts.

I installed all those devices on the bench ...

... and had no problems whatsoever. Archer's instructions are very clear and detailed, and other stuff is very straightforward. Piece o' cake.

Back