What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip lens sealing

LAL

Friend
I would sure appreciate suggestions for at least "trying" to prevent leaks under the lens onto my landing light and LED nav lights (all Creative Air installation). Especially suggestions that might help while flying through rain at cruise speeds. I've considered Proseal gasket (in-place forming), etc., but I'm certain lots of folks have gone before me with some good lessons..
(Hmmm... rain... what a wonderful thought. All we have seen in Denver recently is below zero nights and snow that refuses to melt.)
Thanks,
Len

Hey Len,

I just used 1/4" weatherstriping. I cut it in half to make 1/8" (couldn't find anything that thin), and it "scrunches" down when installed. I haven't done any testing to see if this really works, but I suspect it should do a decent job. I did this for my Chadworks landing lights, and my LED navs/strobes covers.

Sealing in general

Don't know if this will work on the wingtip, but it works in many areas and might be worth a try. Put down a small bead of RTV, cover it with Saran Warp or similar, and put the lens in place. Let it set. Remove or trim the plastic wrap and you have a nice gasket. It works in a number of areas and I would guess this would be another one. Let us know if you try it.

Back