What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip landing light efficiency

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Been pondering where to install the landing lights? The big question is: Are the wingtip landing lights sufficient/barely so/more than efficient on the RV10?
I have spend long times reading about landing lights on this forum. The backward angle on the wingtip light mount on the RV10 seems more than other RV's?? So before I rack my brains anymore, I must decide where to install the lights...wingtip or leading edge. Will one light each side suffice for taxi and landing?
Thanks.
Dorfie

I did both LE, and tip.

Tip lights are for wigwag use. And, I mounted them at the angle of the mount area, so as to be better visible from the side.

No idea how well the setup works for night flight, as I have never flown it at night.

Landing lights

I found the wingtip lights designed for the -10 to be far too dim for landing and deemed them taxi lights, but even those are weak as far as I am concerned. I fly my -10 frequently at night and am very pleased with a single Duckworks light installed in the leading edge. If I were to plan forward, I would recommend installing one in each leading edge to broaden the field of view and to give you redundancy.

Doug.

I cant speak for the standard wing tip lights but Brandi said with the dual leading edge Duckworks lights I looked like a freight train coming in on final. I think thats a good thing :D Visibility is great at night with them and at less power consumption too!

Duckworks has a new LowCost 70W HID setup also. It makes the 35W HID look like a halogen in comparison. It is amazingly bright. (Stupid bright some would say ;) )

It is available directly from Duckworks at www.duckworksav.com

It is not recomended to wigwag the 70W light though.

We have the HID's from RIGID in the wing tips.

I do fly at night, and in far darker places than most folks in the USA will ever experience. They work fine. Sure you could have more, but for the current draw they are awesome.

I cant speak for the standard wing tip lights but Brandi said with the dual leading edge Duckworks lights I looked like a freight train coming in on final. I think thats a good thing :D Visibility is great at night with them and at less power consumption too!

Brian,
Which lights did you put in the leading edge?
Johan

HID lights and noise

Thanks for all the replies. Just what I was looking for. Most mentions HID lights, no-one with LED's. Any issues with RF noise from the HID lights?
Thanks.
Johan

Brian,
Which lights did you put in the leading edge?
Johan

We used the 35w HID from duckworks: http://www.duckworksaviation.com/

There is a tiny tiny amount of whine I can hear when I flip them on but its very subtle. I have the lights grounded out at the end of the wingtips right to the airframe and think I could probably get rid of the noise if I ran a ground line all the way to a ground block. Its barely audible though so I'm ok with it for now.

Back