What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip antenna options?

gfb

Well Known Member
Thinking ahead to antenna mounting and wondering what the options/experience is for wingtip COM antennas. Are there any good ones? Aircraft Spruce lists a few options.

Verticle orientation

The first one must be mounted vertically for com. I have no experience with the second.

Gary

I think most have found that the Archer wingtip comm ant. don't do very well.
The Archer nav. does a very nice job.

For com only the vertical component counts. In a -10 tip I get fair, not great, range. About 2/3 that of the external whip. The other RV tips are not as thick and range will be less.

I have 2 advanced aircraft antennas in the wingtips.

1 for VOR and 1 for my #2 comm.

My #1 comm is a bend whip mounted under the fuselage.

When I mounted the 2 Advanced antenna I mounted them on a slant with them running slightly up thr wingtip.

They are made for non-metal aircraft so I figured to not get blanked out by the fuselage I should get creative :D

They both work great, but I would only give my #2 comm range about 10 miles 5X5 and once out to 20-30 miles it is "ok" but really 30 is stretching it.

VOR reception seems much better, dont know why, must have something to do with wave lenght, sun stops amd what I ate for breakfast :confused:

I have 2 advanced aircraft antennas in the wingtips.

1 for VOR and 1 for my #2 comm.

My #1 comm is a bend whip mounted under the fuselage.

When I mounted the 2 Advanced antenna I mounted them on a slant with them running slightly up thr wingtip.

They are made for non-metal aircraft so I figured to not get blanked out by the fuselage I should get creative :D

They both work great, but I would only give my #2 comm range about 10 miles 5X5 and once out to 20-30 miles it is "ok" but really 30 is stretching it.

VOR reception seems much better, dont know why, must have something to do with wave lenght, sun stops amd what I ate for breakfast :confused:
VOR works fine because it is horizontally polarized. Proper antenna layout is horizontal, like laying in a wing tip.
Com is vertically polarized. Ideally the antenna should be vertical. Lacking this, make the highest current part -where the coax attaches - as vertical as possible. Let the rest of the antenna be horizontal. Look at a "bent whip" as an example. You would be better off that way than running the whole thing up gradually. (this is a common installation error, and why people say they are horrible)

VOR works fine because it is horizontally polarized. Proper antenna layout is horizontal, like laying in a wing tip.
Com is vertically polarized. Ideally the antenna should be vertical. Lacking this, make the highest current part -where the coax attaches - as vertical as possible. Let the rest of the antenna be horizontal. Look at a "bent whip" as an example. You would be better off that way than running the whole thing up gradually. (this is a common installation error, and why people say they are horrible)

Ha! I new there was a reason why the VOR works so good.

Yup, I tried to mount the Comm as vertical as possible. It works good. Would I do it again? Probably not. I would just go with 2 whips under the belly.

A Comant CI-122 is very easy to mount on the belly, accessible under your seat floor pan. While your down there, mount one under each seat? 90% have done it this way with excellent results. fwiw

Back