What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings

bkbrion

I'm New Here
I bought a rv6a that was started by some else and the wing may not be right. On the spars there are brackets that are blind riveted. the head On a lot of the riveted are raise I no that is not right I used a bore scope to look in the wing it look like that all the way through . What is the right thing to do take off the skin and repair or buy new wing I take all the help I can get

It would be helpful see a photo of the structure in question. Many universal (raised round head) rivets are used internally on the wing; flush rivets are used primarily on the external skin and where other types of rivets might cause interference with another part.

There are also quite a few pulled rivets used where the ribs attach to the web. From what you describe, there may be a problem, but as was mentioned before, pictures are a must.

Riverside

I notice that you are in Riverside, CA. There are literally HUNDREDS of RV builders and other experts in your area. Find the nearest airport, go wander around looking for RV's, and you will soon find someone that can offer advice, or point you to someone who can.

Cable airport, Chino airport are two among many with active RV builders.

Also, consider joining an active EAA chapter near you, if you haven't already!

There's nothing better than personal, "over the shoulder" help!!:)

wings

here is the wed page with photos
rivet_2.jpg

Brian - although the workmanship may not be the best, everything looks correct. Blind rivets where used in the inboard spar web area as this area is actually two webs separated by hidden spacer, or block that is sandwiched in. you can look through the leading edge and verify that those blocks are indeed in place as the rivet heads are visible from the front. You want to make sure none of the rib flanges where drilled into those spacer blocks as they are hidden from the back side of the spar.
The extra holes look to be a layout error, easy to do on the 6 wing as nothing was predrilled except later model skins. I would not consider them an issue, again, as long as they where not drilled into the spacer blocks.
The blind riveting was not done well, but I would not fret over it. Double check to insure the angle attached to the rib is bolted to the spar per plans. The angle is riveted as you can see to the rib. Some of those rivets where drilled into the lightning hole flange, not good practice, but not a deal breaker in my opinion.
The spar cap shop heads look good.
The 6 wing was very overbuilt. There is some school of thought that the factory derated the wing spec (g's) allowing for some build error or variance.
Personally, as long as the hidden spacer blocks where not drilled into, the rib angles are properly drilled to the spar and bolted per plans, I would fly that wing.

Back