What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings ready to install

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I just reached what I consider to be the last major milestone in building my RV10. It's time to install the wings. It looks like the wings can go on one time and remain on. No holes to transefer that I have found. Any advice on wing installation from those who have gone before me.

Pat Stewart

We put ours on temporarily

the first time, to mark the position of the fairings, then pulled the wings back off to install the nut plates. It has been awhile, but check the instructions.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I installed all the lower nutplates (pre-punched). The drawing shows the upper fairing strips clecoed to the fuselage, once the wings are installed you transfer the nut plate locations from the wing root fairing. Then remove the fairing strips from the fuselage and install nutplates in the strips. Cleco back on the strips and rivet in place (blind rivets). That is the way I read the drawings. Am i missing something.

Both RV 8's I built required the wings to go on so that the lower wing to body holes could be transfered and then the wings removed for nut plate installation so that's why I asked the question.

Pat Stewart

Wings are on and boy that was a lot easier than an RV8. They will however need to come back off for the fwd fuel tank to fuselage bracket. No big deal on the RV10.

Pat Stewart

With 2 people, a sawhorse, and hardware bolts, it takes less than 10 minutes to put on, or remove both wings.

Mine have been on and off again at least 6 times.

Lot less walking needed with them off:D

With 2 people, a sawhorse, and hardware bolts, it takes less than 10 minutes to put on, or remove both wings.

Mine have been on and off again at least 6 times.

Lot less walking needed with them off:D

And doing the main gear fairings and wheel pants are WAY easier with the wings off!

Back