What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings: Quick Help

BNut

I just started my wings and ran into a snag. Before I call Van?s I would bet I could get an answer from this brain trust. I did do a search. But I could not find anything. I must be the first ??? to not find it in the plans.

I am only on the third step, installing nut plates K1000-4 on the main spars. I understand the rivet orientation in respects to the spacer (F-704G and W-707C). What I cannot find anywhere is what rivet to use. Could anyone please help?

Thanks!

Look at the last page of the section, rivet callouts are usually there.

Look for a diagram with a lot of funny symbols at the rivet holes, and then go to the legend to see what rivet the symbol is referring to.

Good luck.

Correct rivet

Mike the correct rivet is 426AD3-6 for the nutplates to the spacer, found in the top right corner of drawing 10A.

The 426AD4-14 are the ones for the spacer to the spar. When you set the long ones a lot of the rivet expands inside the bar so you will not have much of a shop head.

All the best.

Still dont get it.....

I did look at the plans for over an hour...still don't get it....

bnut24

bnut24

bnut24

bnut24

Sorry for my ignorance....but I am not getting the rivet size..... I see the 4-14....I only have 11 of those. It does appear that it should be a 3-something.:eek:

For some reason my DWG 10A does not have this call out. It can be done either way. Check your nut plate before installing it to make darn sure it is good and the correct size for sure because if you use the short rivets to install the plate, you're going to have a heck of a time changing it out. :) Good find Arnie!

DWG 10A Upper Right Corner.

2X AN426AD3-6 into a K1000-4 platenut

Right under the "FRONT SPAR REAR VIEW" all the way to the right.

Last edited:
Next step Hint

AHHH... Wait till you try to find DWG 38 to trim the rear spar doublers correctly. The dimensions in the preview drawings are correct. 9/32, 7/16, 1/8. Make sure you remove the machineing marks & use a staight edge against the doublers as a datum point to measure from. I Just did this yesterday. Let me know if you can't figure it out. I struggled with it a bit. :cool:

The dimensions in the preview drawings are correct. 9/32, 7/16, 1/8.

Uhm...Daniel, my preview plans have different dimensions listed for the spar doubler trim.

Lower trim is 1/16th outboard to 5/32 inboard.
Inboard trim is 19/32 top to 7/16 bottom.

Unless I am referring to a different trim than you are.

Nope, you are correct on the measurements you quoted... My bad! I should have looked at the plans before thowing numbers out there from memory. Duh! :eek:

Correction***

- Cut (1) (top) 19/32 to 7/16 (14/32) (bottom)
- Cut (2) inboard 5/32 to 1/16 (2/32) outboard

Rear spar trim

Wait till your DAR comes and tells you that it "wouldn't hurt" to wait till you fit the wings before you trim that. "Just to make sure". I have not trimmed mine yet and I will wait as he says. Who knows my QB may be Waaay off! :D

Back