What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings questions

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Discussing over the wings during an inspection by an EAA counselor, as the right and left spars are side by side, it would seem that the left and right wings should be slightly different to compensate for the offset. But all ribs are identical or, more ironically what's called left and right ribs have nothing to do with left and right wings. Should I therefore conclude that one wing is offset by the width of the spar compared to the other one? Would this not lead to a slightly different response between right and left turns?
Just questions from a dummy...:confused:

Wing rib confusing

Hi
i found out the most rigth ribs are on the left wing and opposit see page 15-4 or 6.
on my front ribs are'n t lables. ] are left and [ are rigth with the j stiffner spare at the top.

i hope you understand my writing

Hello From Switzerland

Daniel Schmid

Zurich LSZH

Discussing over the wings during an inspection by an EAA counselor, as the right and left spars are side by side, it would seem that the left and right wings should be slightly different to compensate for the offset. But all ribs are identical or, more ironically what's called left and right ribs have nothing to do with left and right wings. Should I therefore conclude that one wing is offset by the width of the spar compared to the other one? Would this not lead to a slightly different response between right and left turns?

Actually, the wings are not offset from one another, that would truly be an aberration. The right and left spar rib attachment flanges are set up differently to compensate. For instance, look closely at Fig 2, page 15-04, and Fig 2, page 15-06 and you will see the spar rib attachments are different between the left and right wing. And yes, the L and R in the rib designation does not refer to left and right wings but refers more to the direction which the rib flanges face when installed. Van's design is righteous.
Proceed carefully and keep the faith!
Tony

I don?t have my wings yet but I do have my drawings.
It looks like the left inward spar is in front of the of the outward half of the spar, and the right inward spar is in back of the outward half of the spar.
This would put the wings in the same place.
I Think ?

Got it!

Thanks guys, this confirms the saying: "A good drawing is better than a long speech"... that is, provided you know what drawing to look at!

What is dumb is I never even thought about it! :eek: Good question! And great explanation Tony!

My View

What is dumb is I never even thought about it! :eek: Good question! And great explanation Tony!

Larry

After reading your response I thought that my response was wrong after taking a second look I think the main difference is the reverse layup of the spars, is this not correct.

It looks like the short layup is in the front of the left wing and the short layup is in the back of the right wing.

I don?t have me wings to look at just the Drawings

Larry

After reading your response I thought that my response was wrong after taking a second look I think the main difference is the reverse layup of the spars, is this not correct.

It looks like the short layup is in the front of the left wing and the short layup is in the back of the right wing.

I don’t have me wings to look at just the Drawings

Hi Joe,
My wings are in the plane and hard to see, but looking at the drawings I definitely agree that the short layups are on the front of the left wing and back of the right wing. This, combined with the different rib attach angles, make the design work. Nice work interpreting the drawings, Joe.
Tony

Hi Joe,
My wings are in the plane and hard to see, but looking at the drawings I definitely agree that the short layups are on the front of the left wing and back of the right wing. This, combined with the different rib attach angles, make the design work. Nice work interpreting the drawings, Joe.
Tony

Tony

By reversing the spar layup and modifying the rib attachment Vans was able to put the last spar layup on the same line. I love Great Engeneering.

Thanks

Back