What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings on the way!

Daver

Well Known Member
Well, I finished up my empennage (just a little finishing work left) and, all in all, I think it turned out pretty good; a few "worts" (imperfect rivets) but OK I think.

Faxed my wing order to Van's last week to beat the price increase.

Is this fun or what!

I'm thinking I might want the Tru-Trak autopilot. I think the servo mounts in the wing. Can it be mounted in either wing? Is it ALOT more difficult to install after the wing is closed up?

Thanks!

Dave

I am interested too!

I'm up to the wings being done less the top skins.
I want all the advice I can get on Autopilot and mounting servos.
Ill be watching your thread.

Installing Ailerons and flaps over the coming holler day.

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/toms/plane_proj.asp

Have fun with that wing kit! :)

Tom Brink, Pres. GAHco

Tru Trak ADI II

My friend Mike is building a RV-9A and has ordered the ADI II for it. He is mid way through on the fuselage. He ordered his to fit in the right wing. It is my understanding from him that it can be ordered to mount in either wing you just have to specify which one. I'm starting on my wings now and am considering one for myself. He got his best deal from Aircraft Spruce.

I went with the tru-trak dual axis. I looked at several other auto pilots but the tru-trak has a nice clean and simple kit for the install on the RVs. I have read that you can do the install with the wing closed up but I wouldn't want to. With the wing open its fairly straight forward. The elevator servo is even easier. You can buy the servos one at a time and get the rest of the package when you are ready. I believe that the servos are the same for all of the tru-trak products.

Bill P - fuse - attaching the empennage

Right wing

Guys usually mount the aileron servo in the right wing tip with it's own pushrod back to the bellcrank. The right side helps balance the airplane weight since the pilot sits on the left when you're solo.

Enjoy,

The TruTrak auto-pilot servos for the roll function are mounted at the bell crank usually in the right wing. Mounting the servo before or after close up doesn't make too much difference. The servo is mounted to existing holes in the wing. It is easier to mount while the wing is on the bench upside down rather than on the plane working under the wing.
Their mounting instructions are very good.

Back