What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings on - a pointless question

shiney

Well Known Member
At long last tonight I successfully fitted the wings, a real milestone for me as I had decided a long time ago to leave this event towards the end of the build. Everything went just as my research had said it would and the temp wing pins kindly made for me by a local experienced RV builder were perfect for this job.

Once installed, the wing incidence, sweep, twist etc etc was perfect and didn't need any adjustments from me. Then I got to thinking, this job has gone too well - no other part of my build experience has ended up with things working out quite so to plan, I'm thinking this is too good to be true?

Logically, the wings can only fit one way, apart from the rear lug, everything is pre-drilled and once bolted in place, it's rock solid so how would it be possible to make any adjustments anyway?

I've measured and measured and checked and checked and I am very happy with the fit but I haven't drilled the rear lugs yet just in case it is too good to be true!

You might not be the only one, mine came out right on the $$$ as well without much fuss.

You are well on your way to getting your hands dirty with fiberglass work and that is a good thing.

Congratulations, Martin....

...you are, however, at a critical point that really needs to be done carefully....drilling the rear spar attach fittings. Just be sure that the airplane is carefully levelled fore/aft and side to side before checking incidence and drill to undersize and ream to final fit of the rear spar attach fittings.

Best,

Double, double, & double what Pierre said.........

...you are, however, at a critical point that really needs to be done carefully....drilling the rear spar attach fittings. Just be sure that the airplane is carefully levelled fore/aft and side to side before checking incidence and drill to undersize and ream to final fit of the rear spar attach fittings.

Best,

most crucial step in a good flying airplane, .........and measure, level one more time.

There are no adjustments.

I spent six hours measuring the first time I mated the wings. And after rebulding the rear spar after butching the rear spar edge distance, I'll bet I spent another 8 hours measuring. Perfect? Nope. Will it fly? Yep.

First wing installation was a fond memory for me, as well.
It all went together without a hassle (warning sign...). For the first time, my neighbors could see that I was really building an airplane rather than a dragster...
I felt good about it and drilled the rear spar holes.

At 3AM the next morning, I woke up and had a panic attack thinking that I had somehow blown it. I must have just had an airplane building dream (You all know what I am talking about...) The feeling that I had made an error was so strong that I had to get dressed and go out to the shop and measure the clearances around the hole. Of course, everything was fine...stupid dreams...

Back