What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings already mounted on QB?

ncarmon

In reading through the literature on the QB, it says that you should purchase the wings and the fuselage together so they can be match drilled for you.

Does that mean that all the holes for the wings are already build in in the factory? Do you have to match the incidence of the two wings or is that already complete?

Thanks...

In reading through the literature on the QB, it says that you should purchase the wings and the fuselage together so they can be match drilled for you.

Does that mean that all the holes for the wings are already build in in the factory? Do you have to match the incidence of the two wings or is that already complete?

Thanks...

The holes are in and perfect. And they do not have to be match drilled. I bought a QB fuselage to replace a damaged one and the original wings fit perfect.

Yesterday, five of us installed the wings in a friend's 7 for the first time. We checked the wing sweep and it was within 1/16 of an inch from left to right. I also know from installing and checking my wings and drilling the aft spar attach holes, the angle of incidence was within 1/2 a degree from left to right and the level fuselage.

Van's has this part of the airplane perfect. Now if only they could do the same for the canopy. :)

The main spar is drilled the rear spar isn't. You do have to set the incidence and sweep yourself and you do have to be very careful with edge distance when doing it. I did it by myself. Humble me.

Be careful with the aft spar holes

As stated the incidence angle probably will off by a small angle but with the side adjacent so long the actual displacement of the rear spar from the specified position may be significant. Mine was on the left side. I rechected it and the reference plane level many times before I finally "C" clamped the rear spar interface and drilled that hole.

Bob Axsom

Back