What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Weight

The -9 wing probably weights a little more than a -6 wing. I'd guess each -6 wing weighs between 50 and 75 lbs without flap, aileron, pushrods, or tip.

I was wondering too....

The 2 wing crates together weigh about 400# (from vans website). I need to know also because I want to build some sort of ceiling storage / hoist system for them.... (my wings ship in 17 DAYS!).

How about some of you RV-9 people give us the scoop?

95 lbs is what I came up with on my rv-7 wings, with flaps and ailerons but no tips. the method I used to weigh might not be to accurate though.
I picked up one end of the wing off of the table and stood on a cheap bathroom scale, then the same on the other end.
This was about a year ago, but 95# sticks in my mind
I'm curious what your '9' wing weighs
JIM--fuselage

RV-9 wing weight

Here is a link to the page where I first thought about the weight of my RV-9A wings. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a014.htm

The basic wing without the aileron, flap, wing tip, and push-rods came in just over 55 pounds. I got on my bathroom scale, took a reading. Then picked up the riveted wing and got on the scale a second time to get the reading. I wore a pair of leather work gloves to be able to hold the wing using the access holes at the wing spar.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
www.n2prise.org

Back