What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing walk rib installation timeline

rmartingt

Well Known Member
Getting in between the wing walk ribs to rivet is apparently a recurring pain. However, I'm pretty sure that on my dad's -6, we left those out initially and only installed them as we were finishing out the skins. We installed one, riveted it, and installed the next one from the root end. Is there any reason this can't be done on the -7/8 wings?

That seems to work on the RV-7 wings. It's a pain but doable. I've done most of one of my wings by myself. If you have very large hands it might be even more difficult. Don't forget to use the longer rivets in that area of the skin. Ask me how I know. :D

If you go this route, wait until you are installing ribs to rivet the rear spar doubler. As you install the ribs, only rivet the rear spar doubler up to the point you don't have to get a rib past the rivets. Once you have the doubler riveted, you can't get a rib past the heads.

Also, for this to be a real advantage, all the wing walk ribs need to have the flanges face inboard. I'm not positive, but I think the 7/8 plans call for one or more of the wing walk ribs with flanges the other way. If you reverse any of them, you'll want to make sure all the pre-punched parts will line up properly.

If you go this route, wait until you are installing ribs to rivet the rear spar doubler. As you install the ribs, only rivet the rear spar doubler up to the point you don't have to get a rib past the rivets. Once you have the doubler riveted, you can't get a rib past the heads.

Also, for this to be a real advantage, all the wing walk ribs need to have the flanges face inboard. I'm not positive, but I think the 7/8 plans call for one or more of the wing walk ribs with flanges the other way. If you reverse any of them, you'll want to make sure all the pre-punched parts will line up properly.

Thanks for the information. I'm deburring the ribs now; once they get painted I'll start test-fitting everything together and post back the results...

I helped another builder rivet his bottom skins, then did mine a couple of years later with his help, and we found that if you start in the corner and use the holes in the ribs, contort your arm/wrist/elbows a bit, and follow Van's suggestion to progress in a diagonal fashion, the skins can be riveted with all the ribs in place. Other than a few temporary impressions of the rib hole edges on your arms, I don't remember it being too difficult.

Back