What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing walk question

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I just received the stick on wing walk material for my 10, and they do not have the "RV 10" cutout in them. Yes, I know that they are hard to see, and I looked very carefully.

When I ordered these, I specifically asked if they had the cutout, due to the fact that the units are listed as "RV 10/14" on the web page, and was assured that they did have the cutouts.

Now I am wondering if Vans has decided to drop the cutout so that one part # will fit either the 10 or the 14.

For a hundred bucks,----virtually double the cost of the other models--- I am not overly happy with what just happened here.

Anybody else out there who have ordered the antiskid wing walk from Vans for their RV 10 run into this???

Thanks in advance.

Mike, I bought them almost 2 years ago, no cutouts. They do however have all the cutouts for the screws and the joggle to match the access panel. I liked 'em and they're easier to keep clean than what I had. The screw cuts aren't perfect, but if you pick the sweet spot all the heads are exposed. It's a little gauche to overbadge your ride anyway.

Thanks guys, guess I need to do the cutouts myself if I am going to have any.

Wonder why the factory offers them for other models but not the 10/14???

Are there round/cicular cutout for each screw or something? A picture would help.

Yes, and the edge is cut to follow the dog leg in the edge of the closeout piece.

Here is the only photo I could find of the cutout/dogleg.

Show%2520N%2520Shine%25202013%2520025.JPG

durability???

FWIW Mike, the first place the walk material fails are the little points and corners on the cut-out copy.
I think it's a great idea to keep the actual walk material shape simple, and add a matte black vinyl decal cut-out butting up to the walk, so your paint shows thru the letters, if that's your desire.

So, seems to me after creating special parts out of aluminum (trim tab, i.e.), fiberglass, cloth, carpet, kydex, instrument panels, etc, one should not shy away from cutting a simple pattern of his own on sticky paper. I'm not at that point yet, so just my current opinion.

==dave==

In my case, I installed Vans kit when it was too cold. Now that sun is given it a bit of heat I am not happy with results. I have been trying to keep them looking decent, but I will be replacing them come summer. Just a tip on installing and follow instructions. The kits is high quality from Vans.

Back