What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing walk doubler/J-stringer interference

flion

Well Known Member
I ran into an issue while I was clecoing together the skins on my left wing. The aft wing walk doubler overlaps the stiffener by a small amount. I took a picture at the end of the wing where you can see the stringer sandwiched by the wing walk doubler and wing skin. As I was doing the Kitlog entry, I figured a way where I may have reversed the doubler fore/aft, which I will check tomorrow, but I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had run into this. If I haven't reversed the doubler and the interference still exists, my instinct tells me to trim the doubler but I don't want to do that until I check with those who have gone before me. Here's the picture:

FP24052011A00014.jpg

I would guess you got the doublets reversed or switch aft and foreword. Try removing them and make sure the holes and fit align as they should. It doesn't look like the stringer is drilled wring as the gap between the doublers is just too small. So my guess is the incorrect orientation.

Same here, I did mine two years ago, but don't recall any issues. I'm in the check the orientation camp. Hopefully it's as simple as flipping it over.

bob

And my suspicion, as backed up by you all, is correct. I flipped the doubler over and it fit perfectly. Other than by trial and error there is no way to tell which orientation is correct, even the nutplate holes on the inboard edge are perfectly spaced so it fits either way. Well, now I know. Moving on.

Back