What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Torque Tube Support Bracket Installation

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am at the stage of mounting the torque tube support bracket to the W-1010-R rib as shown here:

plans.JPG

However, the support bracket wont fit between the flanges. The support bracket looks like it's perhaps 1/8 - 1/16" inch too long. If I force the bracket in, then the flange on the rib bulges out a bit. Even if I force the bracket in, the holes in the support bracket don't quite seem to line up with the rib holes. Am I missing something here? Suggestions?

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

Yep, it's a less than exact fit. I had to massage mine in order to get them to fit. Trimmed a little here, sanded a little there, cussed a hole bunch and eventualled muscled them into place. IIRC, one side fit a lot better than the other, but I don't know why.

I agree with the tight fit. One other note, I had to use a shallow AN364 nut instead of the 365 to get the right amount of threads coming out of the end of the torque tube. I also made my own washers so the bearing race wouldn't slide.

Common problem.

One other note, I had to use a shallow AN364 nut instead of the 365 to get the right amount of threads coming out of the end of the torque tube.

Yep, me too.

IIRC, this is one of the tips Mel has mentioned in the past, something he has discovered in doing DAR inspections of the 10.

Yep me too

Ya I remember that joyful little part.

I ended up getting most of it all lined up after a lot of hassle and swearing. There was one hole that just didnt want to go though. I mentioned it to an EAA tech counselor who was visiting and he recommended drilling it out to #30 since it was pretty close to being lined up and the 30 would put it there. Its cosmetic at that point and who is going to notice one rivet that is slightly larger.. besides another builder of course ;) This worked fine for me... YMMV

I was glad to find this thread - my first one was trouble too. After reading about the swearing, I took a little bit off the outside corners to leave room for the inside radius of the rib, and more importantly removed a bit from the long edge of both brackets, less than 1/16", to clear the stiffening ring, which was pushing the rib web out of line. That's not quite deep enough to get to the edge of the spacer. Once everything else was straight, I found that even the angle piece needed a hair of relief to sit flat. Now there's no drama with assembly :)

Back