What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing to Fuse Gap

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
Sorry for all the questions over the last couple of days. Everything is coming together at once to get this wing done.

I dug through the plans and could not find where this was clearly specified:

I am wondering what the approximate clearance is between the inboard rib (aft of the main spar) and the fuselage is when assembled. Specifically in the area of the second lighting hole.

Reason:
For the electrical in my wing I am installing a connector and need to know how much clearance I have to work with to determin the mounting location and orientation of the connector.

I got a great deal on some MIL-C-5015 type connectors with a flange receptacle. These connectors are aluminum body, sealed, locking, gold contacts - the works and weigh almost nothing. The connectors retail for almost $200 each, I bought three sets surplus new in the package for $35.

Depending on clearance, I have three mounting options for the flange receptacle:

1: Mount through the hole for my conduit between the 2nd and 3rd lighting holes.

2: Mount on a flange at 90 degrees off the end of the rib pointing forward?

3: Mount on a plate over the second ligtning hole set back one rib into the wing (if there is no clearance for the other options). This would be a pain for maintenance, but do-able.

Thanks,

Aft of the spar...

...I can just get my fingers between the fuselage side skin and the wing top skin. I also wanted to use this space, but it just did not work out for me. My guess is that the total gap between the inboard wing rib and the side skin is about 1 inch.

...I can just get my fingers between the fuselage side skin and the wing top skin. I also wanted to use this space, but it just did not work out for me. My guess is that the total gap between the inboard wing rib and the side skin is about 1 inch.

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to know. I'm thinking option 3 might be the best bet then.

I am also thinking of putting a connector between the wing and the fuselage.. how are you planning on keeping it from getting wet? (I assume some leakage between the fairing and the skins will cause *some* water to get between there).

When I got home from work today, I went ahead a made the mount for my connector. Because of clearance issues, I mounted the connector to the second inboard rib. I made the mount so it can be removed by reaching through the end rib. To pull the connector out for an required maintenance, the wires in the tip will have to have enough slack once disconnected to give me access - that shouldn't be a problem.

The connectors I have are weatherproof so moisture isn't a big problem, but this mounting location should keep it dry regardless. I'll also add a cushion clamp to hold the conduit in the center on the lightening holes.

If you use a low-profile connector, you won't have to go through all this trouble...

Mounting bracket with receptacle:
cimg3567.jpg

Installed in Wing:
cimg3569.jpg

cimg3571.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

The hardware isn't the right length at the moment, just what I had laying around - I'll change that out when I install it "for real".

Back