What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tips, landing lights, & options

rv72004

Well Known Member
I have the older tips on my 7. The ones with a smaller lens that does not accommodate the landing light kit. The newer tips have bigger lenses and a straight trailing edge.

What do the newer tips cost. Is there a aftermarket kit which can accommodate a landing light etc ? I remember seeing something at Oshkosh but may have been homemade. Suggestions needed please.

Wing tip pricing

EJ,
The new wing tips are W715-1-L & W715-1-R They list for $234 each on Vans Parts list page. See

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt

It's about 95% of the way to the bottom of the page. Perhaps you could find someone with the later tips (who plans on leading edge landing lights) to trade tips with???

The newer style tips started production in August 2005 (per Vans 2009 Accessory Catalog)

Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
Possible trade

I'd consider a trade since I have the duckworks leading edge lights already installed, and I like the look of the curved tip. Anyone know of any other drawbacks to the old style?

I'm in the process of altering the hoener tips to accommadate van's lighting system for my 7. It will be a few months before the tools are completed and light covers are designed. I like that look better. They should be pretty cool and built better. Van's are fine, I just plan to bag and cure in an autoclave. Mine will be carbon fiber if all goes as planned.

Carbon fiber mating to aluminum

I'm in the process of altering the Hoener tips to accommodate van's lighting system for my 7. It will be a few months before the tools are completed and light covers are designed. I like that look better. They should be pretty cool and built better. Van's are fine, I just plan to bag and cure in an autoclave. Mine will be carbon fiber if all goes as planned.

Chris,
You probably already know this. Make sure to apply several layers of paint on both your wingtip flange and it's mating surface on the wing skins. The carbon in your carbon fiber wing tips will cause nasty corrosion of the aluminum in contact with it, if you don't.
Charlie

AeroLEDs has a new product called the Sunray that will fit the RV wing cutout. It can be mounted with a single 1/4-20 screw on the side, or with two screws in the face (preferred mounting for an RV behind RV cutout plate).

It draws 0.5A of current at 12.8VDC (6.4 Watts of power) and generates a beam that is 20,000 candela with a 10 degree cone.

The price is going to be about $220, and we will have initial product ready by the end of this week.

Back