What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip tab bending question

Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
I am confused by the directions on page 17-06 for bending the tabs on the wing tip. Figure 2 gives the angles for bending the tabs on the forward and inner edges. Aft of the flat notch is says to bend the tabs "along a line tangent to the notches". I don't understand what they mean. How do these bends differ from the forward tabs? So much for being a Poli Sci major in college instead of math and science. Thanks.

Mark,

No big deal...just means bend them at the curve. The biggest issue is that you bend each of them the required degree or they won't match up to the pre-drilled holes on the rest of the wing. Just use a common protractor. Even if you're off a little they will still match up if you use a pick of some type to "fish around for the matching hole. Since the tabs go on the inside of the skin when you rivet them, make sure that rivet is pulling the tab all the way down to the skin. You don't want a space between the skin and the tab.

Pete

Mark, looking at the figure "inset", all that means is you are to use the dotted line as your bend line.

Mark.... IMHO, the key tab is the one marked 116 degrees and it is not so much the degree of the bend that is the problem, but the BASE of the bend, the angle of the base of this one tab with respect to the skin. You can re bend it once, but I did not try a third time and just accepted the appearance. Perhaps you can leave this baby till last and do a dry fit to get an idea of what I am trying, not very successfully, to convey in words. Perhaps if I had majored in English instead of Chemistry I could do a better job of expressing myself :)

Jeff

Back