What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Tip screws

AltonD

Well Known Member
Ha anybody used #8 screws on the wing tips? I know the plans call for #6, but. . . . after tweaking my alignment, the holes are a little oblong. If I re-drill to #8, that will take care of this.

Any cons to this?

No problem at all using #8s. One advantage of 8s is that you can get them in the stainless steel torx variety, which are far superior to phillips heads. Not sure if you can get #6 torx.

The torx head screws are available all the way down to 2-56 size from Microfastener.

Thanks Mel, I stand corrected. In that case I'd use #6 torx screws. But, for your original question, you can use #8s, I did and they work just fine.

torx screws?

Just went to aircraft spruce and typed in torx screw. It came up blank. Any other names of the screws or where to get them.
John

Wing Tip Screws

Yes I used the number 4 screws from Cleveland, they had the only number 4 dimple die that I could locate.

Cleaveland Kit - me too

I used the #4 screws per the Cleaveland kit. Worked fine. Preserved edge distance and hole size.

Back