What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip light clear fairing material?

mr_matt

I'm New Here
Hello everyone,

I want to add RV-7 style wingtip lights to a typical fiberglass wingtip (with no existing lighting provisions). I plan to thermoform them on self made bucks. I assume they are polycarbonate (harder to form) but I don't know for sure and I certainly don't know the thickness. I plan on installing FlyLED products if that matters.

Can someone let me know the thickness of their covers and the material if you know?

Thanks in advance ,

Matt

Last edited:
I don't know the technical name but I think Lexan is what you want. It's what rc car bodies are made of and it forms nicely. I don't know thickness either, but it's pretty durable so you could go pretty thin.

This may sound crazy, but why don't you just buy the already formed clear plastic part from the Van's web store?

They appear to just be some kind of clear acrylic around 1/16" thick. When you get the part from Vans it's a blister that you cut in half then trim the edges you just created to fit the wingtip coves. It cuts easily with sheet metal shears. it's not brittle like lexan or plexiglass.

They appear to just be some kind of clear acrylic around 1/16" thick. When you get the part from Vans it's a blister that you cut in half then trim the edges you just created to fit the wingtip coves. It cuts easily with sheet metal shears. it's not brittle like lexan or plexiglass.
Plexiglass is a trademarked name for acrylic sheet. It is relatively hard / brittle and is what RV canopies are made of.
Lexan is softer and more flexible than acrylic. It is what RV wing tip lenses are made of.

Back