What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip lens question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
The little paper instruction sheet that came with my lens hardware calls for a screw in the upper and lower corner of each lens. Is that it? just the two screws holding on each lens?
Thanks !

Yep...

That is it. We just put ours in this way and it seems to work fine. I have a friend that put three screws on each side thinking it would be more secure, but it just rippled in between each screw. I would have probably done the same thing if I had not seen his.

I decided they needed more screws and regret doing it. As 24Golf said, it is hard to get the edges to lay flat with extra screws. One of the things I learned on this project (I learned it more than once, by the way:eek:), was to be careful about doing things differently than Van's instructions. There are certainly some areas that can be improved, but many times there are unforeseen consequences.:eek:

$.02 worth

2 not enough for me

I was not comfortable with just the 2 screws called for in the plans. I used 5 on top and 5 on the bottom.

I don't recall any puckering problem but then again I did some fairing (using a light West System mix) around the lenses to get as close to a perfect fit as I could.

The Val has two screws on each lens, and over 1,000 hours. My old Grumman had a similar design, but more screws, and they lens always wanted to pucker between screws.

Paul

Back