What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip attachment

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
Has anyone used piano hinge to attach the wing tips? It sure looks like it would make for a clean looking installation
Bill

Yep

And would do it again in a heartbeat.
Very clean and trivial to install/remove tips.
Wasnt too big a deal to install, maybee an additional 3-4 hours.

Only thing id recommend would be to use a wider hinge half on one side or the other so the hinge line is not visible.

Dont have any photos handy, ill take one next time i go flying.

cheers

Yes, I attached mine with piano hinges. Works fine. I first saw this at S-n-F some years ago, on an RV built by Phillips?? He posted his instructions and photos on his website, Van published his solution in an issue of the RVator.

I believe he called his shop "The Possum Works".

Not an RV-10, but worked nicely on my -7. I get a lot of comments on the clean lines.

RV-7build1056.jpg

That's MOJO!

Yes, I attached mine with piano hinges. Works fine. I first saw this at S-n-F some years ago, on an RV built by Phillips?? He posted his instructions and photos on his website, Van published his solution in an issue of the RVator.

I believe he called his shop "The Possum Works".

That's my tech counselor, Mark Phillips (aka Possum). His plane, "Mojo," is a beauty. He has a bronze Lindy to "prove" it, too!

http://websites.expercraft.com/n51pw/

Bill, I can give you his contact info if you'd like. Sounds like the -10 is coming along-- cant wait to see it!

Katie,
It's moving along at a good pace. I keep telling everyone it's a year away no matter when they ask! Ben helped my get a jump start on everything!

I just ordered the hinges and made up some spacer strips today along with cutting the left wing tip. I found possums web page... Thanks
Bill

Which size hinges do you guys recommend. I read that Mark Phillips used MS20257-3
I assume thats referring to the 1 1/4" as the Spruce MS20257P3-6
Or should it be 1/2" as the .04 metal strips?

And would do it again in a heartbeat.
Very clean and trivial to install/remove tips.
Wasnt too big a deal to install, maybee an additional 3-4 hours.

Only thing id recommend would be to use a wider hinge half on one side or the other so the hinge line is not visible.

Dont have any photos handy, ill take one next time i go flying.

cheers

Last edited:
I purchased 1.5" so they would protrude into the tip. The 1.250 did not quite make it with room on the edge for the rivet holes

We just completed the wing tip attachment using the piano hinge material. Not real difficult, just took some time to make the shims and rib needed to match drill the hinge. I did not put an extra rib in the wing tip. I really don't think it's necessary and just adds additional weight.

IMG_1643.jpg

Back