What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing tip - aileron - flap alignment HELP

Bart

Well Known Member
I'm stuck with my left wing tip about 3/4 of an inch high at the trailing edge and right wing tip down about an eighth of an inch. I?m struggling with the correction to make them all line up. Van?s says this is very unusual. Has anyone else had this problem? If so please pass how you handled it.

Assuming that you have already made sure that the ailerons are aligned properly to the wing, and the flaps are matched to the aileron, then what you have is the far-from-unusual wing tip alignment issue. I didn't have to do this, but I know many folks that have - you slit open the trailing edge of the wing tip and that allows the top and bottom to slide relative to each other - this will let you align the trailing edge to the aileron, and you can glass them back together.

Paul

Thanks, that is exactly what I am doing now. It seems to be straight foward and once the the cut was made it easily squeezed into alignment. Just need to pack the glass into the tip...I was hoping to be finsihed with the glass work....Not fun. Thanks for the input.

We had this problem after we had aligned everything and put on the nutplates and took off the wingtip. When it was installed the second time about a month later it was off. After agonizing awhile we reinstalled the wingtip but did one side of the screws first instead of alternating them. This brought everything into alignment again. Six months later we installed a Archer antenna and the tip was aligned with no special effort. Fiberglass is added to airplanes just to torment builders.

I might be inclined to agree with you....seems like our problem is now solved after a certain amount hand-wringing and glass work. Thanks.

Character builder...

...is what it is:D Hasn't our patience and persistence grown better as a result? Mine has:)

Have fun,

You adjust the tips by moving the tip into position prior to drilling the holes. Clamp the tip to the locked aileron and work it fore and aft, this allows the trailing edge to raise or lower as needed. Just be glad you have tips that are the correct length. The first batch were 1/4 to 1/2 to log and had to be cut and reglassed. Make sure your flap is in the full up position so the aileron is in the correct trail and the tip gets lined up correctly. You may be surprised that the flap is not fully up the first try. Ask me how I know:rolleyes:

Back