What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip #4 Countersunk Tinnerman washers

lwfussell

Does anyone know of a source for Stainless Steel Countersunk Flush Tinnerman (finish) Washers the part Number I believe is NAS1169-4C. For the past week I have searched the normal Aircraft sites and a number of fastener sites including Tinnerman. Only needing a box of 100 has generated zero response from the Fastener guys and Air Craft Spruce no longer carries them. Any help in locating a source would be greatly appreciated. As an alternative if I could find a thin say .010-.012 SS washer about 1/2inch in diameter with a #4 hole I could try to dimple them with a squeezer.

I am using #4 countersunk screws to attach the wingtips and don?t like what it does to the paint. Any other alternatives would also be appreciated.

Larry
7-A
Final assembly

Pierre, I may have missed something but I didn't see any #4's.... (I've been looking for 'em too)
Larry

B&B Aircraft Supplies

Try calling B&B Aircraft Supplies at 913/884-5930. They are one of the vendors that is always at OSH. Large selection, $10 minimum order and resonable shipping. I was able to get K1000-4/40 nutplates from them.

Larry

#4 Flush Washers

All,

I am still looking, today I found a custom washer shop named Bolkers that will make ss flat fender washers 1/2inch in diameter #4 hole for $.78 each. There are several calls out but as a last resort one could take these and dimple them. Since I can't find a #4 dimple die listed for sale, this weekend I will experiment with a 3/32 die on aluminum.
Regards,
Larry

For dimple die try Cleaveland

lwfussell said:
I Since I can't find a #4 dimple die listed for sale, this weekend I will experiment with a 3/32 die on aluminum.
Regards,
Larry
http://cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DIE5094

Details?

lwfussell said:
All,

I am still looking, today I found a custom washer shop named Bolkers that will make ss flat fender washers 1/2inch in diameter #4 hole for $.78 each. There are several calls out but as a last resort one could take these and dimple them. Since I can't find a #4 dimple die listed for sale, this weekend I will experiment with a 3/32 die on aluminum.
Regards,
Larry
Got any more details on that shop Larry, in case I want/need to contact them from over here in NZ?

Cheers,

#4 hardware is EVIL!!! It's very easy to strip out even with a new and very nice screw driver. Try using #6. Much easier to work with. IMHO of course. Your mileage will vary.

:D

4-40 to small!!

Hopefully you are not locked into 4-40's. As I was completing my final assembly I stripped a couple of screws on the tips and decided to take the time to switch out the 4-40's for 6-32's. With the help of a friend we knocked it out in a couple of hours.

I obtained #4 countersink washers but don't remember where. I do remember they were expen$ive. 6-32 is much more user friendly and looks great with tinnermans on the tips.

I agree

I used the #6 SS Torx head screws in the wingtips...Use a battery drill on hi speed they won't strip i promise.

The #8's are cool for all the wheel pant brackets and the other inspection plates.

I see guys complaining about how their "arms look like Popeye's" when they do all there inspection panels in one day...use the torx, hi speed battery drill and you'll knock them all out in an hour with no measurable stress.

I just removed my wingtips to install antennas, I noticed one or two screws chip the paint, probably not worth bothering with but I might use some Tinnermans if I remove 'em again.

Frank
7a

I finally gave up

After chasing way too many dead ends looking for the Number 4 Tinnerman washers including calling Tinnerman. I gave up an drilled out all of the #4 platenuts and replaced with #6. Not a hard job as the #6 platenuts fit in the exact holes as the #4. Its a pain but sometimes you have to quit chasing dead ends. By the way the #6 hardware looks great. Dont forget to drill for #6 holes and re-dimple.

Back