What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing stub spar, dimple question

Paul the Overlord

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm ready to rivet the skins on the wings now. I got my 120 degree countersink for the stub spar (to "presumably" make room for dimples). In looking ahead I see only two places that are dimpled (Fig 1, page 17-02). Then, on the next page we are supposed to pull the CS-4-4 in those holes without any dimpling!! Seems odd to me, does the skin just dimple itself when I pull the rivet, or am I missing something? Any other wing skinning tips would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm not working on the wing yet, but that does not seem right at all. Better re-read a couple of pages.

On 14-02 you countersink all the holes in the stub spar. The w-1201L skin is already dimpeled for most of the holes. You are just adding a couple more. I spent this afternoon clecoing this exact part.

There are actually 3 places you dimple!

I just remembered a post from a while back. The plans say dimple 2 places, but it seems that it's 3 dimples. Here is an excerpt from Jerry G's blog:

"Buy the way, both lower inboard wing skins were missing a dimple, my fault ... I guess. On page 17-02, Step 2 the plans call for dimpling in 2 places. The upper row needs 1 dimple and the bottom row needs, I thought one dimple also. But alas, the wing doublers needs to be dimpled in three places. So when the plans (17-02 Step 2) calls for dimples in two places, one of those places needs 2 dimples. Fortunately I was able to dimple the two most inboard #30 holes in the inboard lower counter sunk row even though the wing was in late stages of completion. Phew! That single #30 most inboard hole in the lower cs row does not seat in the stub spar assembly ... so I thought it didn't need to be dimpled. Wrong! So dimple in 2 places means one place had one #30 hole to dimple and the second place has two #30 holes to dimple. Fortunately a simple fix! "

On 14-02 you countersink all the holes in the stub spar. The w-1201L skin is already dimpeled for most of the holes. You are just adding a couple more. I spent this afternoon clecoing this exact part.

Oh, what you are saying is Vans is supposed to dimple the skin before shipping?? So those 29 holes plus the inboard ones are already dimpled? I remember looking at the skins a bit and didn't see any dimples.

Oh, what you are saying is Vans is supposed to dimple the skin before shipping?? So those 29 holes plus the inboard ones are already dimpled?

Yes.
Look at the inboard L.E. skin.
Most of the holes calling for flush rivets are already dimpled.
This is why the tool list doesn't include any tools for dimpling out in the middle of a large skin.

Back