What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing stands built today

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I would like to thank Ron Duren for the idea of the rolling stands. This is the cats meow in my garage and lets me roll them around and put it all away in one bay when I am done.
The link will take you to web shots where I have broke down the constructions of how I did it.
I used 2X4 with plywood between them... 2.49 cent each vs 14.39 for 4x4 in Atlanta.
All told the cost came in around 150.00 for the stand. Not terrible but not great either. The wheels cost almost 80 dollars at Tractor Supply since Harbor Freight was all out but their cost per wheel was 12.98 also.

that 80 dollars also includes the aluminum angle which I will install Monday.

Thanks Ron for the idea.

Smilin' Jack
Waiting on wings.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2097133460030256016Zckhne?vhost=rides

Last edited:
I like the looks of your wing stand. Im just looking into construction of mine since I just ordered my wings this week. Was there a source for plans?

wing stands for construction

If I want to be able to rotate the wing with the axis of the spar or equivalent, how would you modify your frame?

Looks good!

When you are done with the wings you will have plenty of material to recycle into wing cradles and a fuselage stand. You'll be using those wheels again. :)

Jay,
I thought about that and I might still do it.
It would require you to first mount a spindle or two spar mounts

If you drilled a one inch hole through the 2X 4 and put in a 1inch piece of pipe and then put a 3X4 rod into that which the spar frame could be mounted.
then a couple of indexing pins and I think this would work. you'd be able to rotate the entire wing. the fuel tank and leading edge you don't have a need to be able to work on the top of them so you could keep the spar pretty low on the post just enough so you can cleco the rear spar on then when you rotate the wing it should be at chest height.

Jack

Trevor,

I used Ron Duren Jr. suggestion he goes by Ron's RV7 Factory
http://ronsrv7project.blogspot.com/2010/12/rolling-wing-stand-hobbs-3900-hrs.html
I used 2X4 because the only 4X4 available here were cedar at 14.39 each or pressure treated and that will only warp. then I took the end brace to the outside and used it also to help the 2X6 be supported and extended that 2X4 further out toward the wheels.
a little difference on the tops. not much. You can use view all the pictures of mine on web shots I put all the dimensions there.

Smilin' Jack

I would like to thank Ron Duren for the idea of the rolling stands. This is the cats meow in my garage and lets me roll them around and put it all away in one bay when I am done.
The link will take you to web shots where I have broke down the constructions of how I did it.
I used 2X4 with plywood between them... 2.49 cent each vs 14.39 for 4x4 in Atlanta.
All told the cost came in around 150.00 for the stand. Not terrible but not great either. The wheels cost almost 80 dollars at Tractor Supply since Harbor Freight was all out but their cost per wheel was 12.98 also.

that 80 dollars also includes the aluminum angle which I will install Monday.

Thanks Ron for the idea.

Smilin' Jack
Waiting on wings.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2097133460030256016Zckhne?vhost=rides

Looks great Jack, nice job!

Wasting time and money

Guys, the plans that come with the wing stands from vans work great. There is absolutely no need to "rotated them around" Just get em built and forget about all the other stuff. Such a waste of building time!

Here is the information some have requested.

I have had 7 private messages concerning how I made the stand so here it
There are a lot of others that have made great stands so look around and
make one that suits your situation.

Length from the made up 4X 4 post 114 inches to the inside.
width between the post 36 inches.
Dimensions of the 2X6's that hold the wheels all 64 inches.9 inches out side of frame on both sides.
Parts list.
9- 2X4X8'(4 for the post, 1 cut in half actually 43 inches for the top of the post, and two for the bottom that lay on top of the 2X6 that the wheels are fastened to.
1- 2X6X10 ( for the top 2X6 between the 2X4's crossties)
2- 2X6X12 (for the two sides 2X6's cut to 121 inches.)
3--2X6X8 (for the wheels to attach to)
I bought a sheet of 4'X4' 1/2 plywood and ripped it to 3 1/2 inches to use between the 2X4's then used the remaining for the gussetts on top of the frames.

6- wheels capable of at least 150 lbs each. 3 in diameter so they roll easier.
24- 2 1/2", 1/4-20 bolts, 48 washers. 24 lock washer and 24 nuts.
@100 2 1/2" wood screws
How I built it.
Ripped the Plywood to 3 1/2 inches.
put the plywood inbetween 2-2X4's and screwed then together with double screws a 6 inches, 24, 46, 52 70 inches 3 inch wood screws would have been better but I screwed them together on both sides.

made all 4 post. but they are 8 foot long.

I then cut the over all length to 75 1/2 inches
the set up the circular saw to cut 1 1/2 inches and cut only one 2X4 at 72 inches this notch is used to hold the crosstie 2X4 at the top. You can see it in the pictures.

I cut the 12 foot 2X6's to length 114 inchs plus 7 (the 2 post)or 121 inches.
laid the post on the floor and screwed the 2X6 to it.

Cut the top crosstie 2X4 to (36 inches plus 7) or 43 inches
cut 2 of them to 43 inchs.
Stood up the post and screwed the cross pieces to each one. Now the frame held it's self up.
Measured half of the crosstie and attached the top 2X6X114" to the middle of the crosstie. Use a small piece of 2X4 scrap screwed to the bottom of the crosstie to hold up the one end of the 2X6 while you fasten the other if your working by your self.

Now to make the base.
since the inside dimension was 36 inches and Ron said to make the wheels go outside so if you only have one wing on the stand would not tip over.

So I figured out that the wings will not go out farther than 9 inches outside the frame.
So this is how I figured out how wide to make the 2X6's that hold the wheels.

36 for the inside clearance
7 for the post
3 inches width for the length wise 121 inch 2X6's
plus 9 inches on each side to keep it from tipping over
that make 18 more inches so the total is
64 inches.

Make 3 2X6's 64 inches.
Attach the wheel (one inch inside the outer limit) I used 2 1/2 inch 1/4-20 bolts washers on both sides and lock washers and nuts on the bottom

The last 2X4 was use to keep the frame from bowing the 2X6 on the ends. It is 3 inchs shorter over all than the 2X6 is and I just wagged the angle to make it pretty. Turned the 2X6 over and edge screwed the 2X4 to it.
Lifted up one post at a time and set the 2X6 underneath it and screwed it to the side. After I got both ends done I layed the entire frame on it's side and screwed the 2X6 to the post bottom.

Tipped it back up and made the gussetts from the remaining plywood and went crazy with my trim gun shooting them on.

That's how I did it. Hope you can follow it.

Smilin' Jack

Back