What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing spars

jany77

Well Known Member
hi guys im considering build rv-4 after my rv-3 is done ,i doo want build my spars i dont see any reason spend several hundered dolars just for assembly my question is if anyone here in these days bought spars for rv-4 ,how far are they done are the bars tapered are the reinforce bars between spar flanges drill are the lightening holes cut thank you

I built mine, the lightning holes were already drilled, the bars were tapered and pre drilled. All you need to do is de-bur, prime (optional) and rivit it together.

spars

thanks i noticed on plans that there is couple bars betwen flanges some like 1/2x3/4 and rivet together by an 4 rivet are these predrill too and include

Bakersfield

Since the spars need 3/16 rivets, they are a bit difficult to set. The Avery dimple machine will do it, but everything needs to be held firmly and a big hammer used.

Since you are in California, I suggest contacting John Harmon in Bakersfield.

He did my spars and with his "Big Bertha" floor mounted C-frame riveter, it only took about 30 minutes. This was definitely one case of the right tool making the job easy...:)

It certainly was worth the drive from Los Angeles, even if it did cost me a new motor for my son's old Mazda pick-up...:)

Try contacting the "Bakersfield Bunch" EAA Chapter for details...

Gil A

Like Joe B., I rolled my own

I rented the pneumatic rivet squeezer from Vans for one week to set the big rivets. I think they only charge shipping. Everything comes pretty much ready to assemble. The usual prep is needed; smooth edges, radius corners, Scotch wheel, and prime. I would definitely assemble the spars again. It is basic assembly compared to the skills you will need for some of the other tasks (canopy!!). I think it took me about one weekend and eight cups of coffee. Good equity gain.

Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing
Mounting wings next weekend!!!

thanks i noticed on plans that there is couple bars betwen flanges some like 1/2x3/4 and rivet together by an 4 rivet are these predrill too and include

If your referring to the bars in the spars just aft of the fuel tank, yes, these are pre-drilled as well. It's been a couple years, but I think the only major drilling you need do on the wing is the skin to the ribs.

Hi Jan,
In your 1st post you asked if anyone bought their RV-4 spars already assembled & how far they're done. Since I opted for the pre-assembled Phlogiston spars when I bought my wing kit, I figured I'd toss in my 2 cents.

The spars I recieved were COMPLETE. All riveting was done, all edges smoothed, all bars tapered, all lightening holes cut, & they had even been gold anodized to provide superior corrosion protection. When I ordered them, I was still in the empennage phase of construction & my building confidence wasn't as high as it is now. (if you've already built an RV-3, you'll have no trouble)

I figured the spars are the heart of the wing structure & carry all of the lift loads. Consequently, I wanted to be very certain they were built straight, accurate, and to a high degree of quality. I also knew I couldn't duplicate the anodized finish in my home shop. So, at the time I bought them, the extra cost seemed like a fair trade, and given the quality of workmanship in my pre-built spars, I don't regret it at all.

In hindsight, I'm sure I could've built the spars myself and saved some money, but I'm happy they way I went.

You may want to build them yourself to save a few dollars, or simply for the sake of the building experience. Either way, I think it's a personal choice, but you can't go wrong w/ an RV-4.

Best regards,

Build Them Yourself

I built mine this spring. I put a partition in the long shipping crate, lined the box with plastic and installed a drain and alodined all my parts before priming them. I used Avery's C-frame and a 4 lb hammer on the big rivets, but was later horrified to see that my 3x rivet gun at 120 psi did a fine job in the C-frame and would have been much easier than using the hammer. I enjoyed the build.

spars

thank you a lot guys i appreciate your answers the reason is i might go with harmon mods on rv-4 if i decide after my 3 is done ,but i want fly not build will see

Back