What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Spar

paul330

Well Known Member
OK, finally started on the wings and what an exhausting day! The nervous energy was unbelievable - about a thousand holes to c/s and each one (it seems) to a different depth! Talk about worrying about getting it wrong and trashing the spar. And then checking a million times that you are going to c/s on the correct side for the wing and tank attach nut-plates at the root. And today, I have to do it all again on the other one!! :eek:

Anyway, a couple of questions. Why the silly little 6" spar extension? Can't VANS build it the right length? More importantly, there is a small scratch on the web of one spar. It may only have chipped off the anodizing but may go through. I see in a couple of areas that the surface has been "buffed" - presumably to remove similar small scratches. Is it OK to just scotchbrite it out? I have been paranoid about getting rid of scratches but then see that VANS have scratched the part number right in the root where the stresses are highest! Go figure.......... :confused:

Anyway, back to the cold, English garage for more work........

re: length

I think the reason for the spar length is that's it's a "stock" length, so it has to be added on to for the correct span.
As far as scratches. I'd say don't worry about it, I haven't.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
panel/cabin top/fuse
wings done

Back