What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing spar question.

azav8or

I received my wing kit today and while inventorying I noticed more than 10 spots on my left spar where the anodizing was worn off or was scratched at the factory and repaired. Is this common. I have seen several new spars and all are perfect. I called Vans and they said this was normal. I would like a second opinion.

Thanks, Joe Manning

I will try to upload pics later. I can't get Imageshack to play nice right now.

Numerous spots on mine too. Just make sure any scratches have been smoothed (all of mine were very nicely). Also, despite your best efforts, you can probably assume you're going to nick them here or there too in the process of building your wings so you'll be smoothing them out and priming. Unfortunately, those probably won't look as nice as the ones Van's took care of! Happy wing building!

another spar question...

i don't have mine yet (due at the end of the month), but i'm setting up my stands today, and i need to know the width of the -7 spar for cutting the peices of angle it will rest on.

anyone?

I am almost a wing builder

Mine shipped yesterday, and are due to deliver 1-13.

AltonD
RV-7A
empennage complete.
Wings are in the mail.

Wing Spar Discolored Spots

I did a search and found this thread yesterday, and even though it's an old thread plus I found no photos, I was able to feel better about my spar. So Thanks, guys.

But just to document my concerns and also request current thoughts about the condition of my spar, I have posted photos in a Picasa album. Some of the photos are multiple shots of the same spots.

I have inserted one photo here that shows the long discoloration I am most concerned about. What do you think...do I have a reason to contact Van's before I start working on my spars?

IMG_1983.JPG

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about. This looks like they buffed out a scratch and the anodized "soaks" in differently. All of the spars I've seen from Van's had this on them. I think the number is 10%, if they buff out 10% of the thickness of aluminum then you need to be worried.

I also just recieved my wing kit last week, did the full inventory and storage today. I didn't notice anything like this on the spars though, but I'll have a closer look.

One thing i did notice was that the rivets are often a differnt color than the same rivets in the emp kit. Is that because the emp kit rivets have changed color, or because the wing kit rivets are made different? I can't imagine they are actually any different.

build on

I had several reworked areas like the one you show. If it was fixed by the experts at Van's build on. I just clicked over 40 hours a week go; you are going to love it.

My wings arrived yesterday

I haven't looked a the spars yet but did look at the fuselage center bulkheads and I have some buffed areas mainly around rivets, but not as significant as in the picture you show. I will check out my spars and let you know if I notice anything similar.

Back