What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Spar Prep: K1000-4 Plat-Nuts w -3 Rivets?

JVolkober

Well Known Member
The diagram calls for attaching two K1000-4 plate-nuts using AN426AD3 rivets. This appears to be inconsistant. The holes in the plate-nuts clearly fit -4 rivets. The prepunched holes in the spare are for -3 rivets. It seems that if a K1000-4 plate-nut is call for, -4 rivet should be used. What am I missing here? I am somewhat concerned because the first hole I drilled to size was for a 1/8 rivet going with the spec on the plate-nut.

Working on wings now...everything as it seems...

The platenuts (and there's a bunch of them) all are working out as they seem.. All the rivets for the platenuts use #40 holes and so far are all flush rivets.

The rivets are to hold to the steel platenut in place- no a lot of forces 'appear' to be at work on the rivet.

I think the K####-# designation has more to do with the shape and size of the platenut than the fastener- not sure of course- but the #8 and the #6 platenuts for the inspection plates all use the -3 (#40) hole flush rivet.

If you drilled one oversized for the #40 holes (-3 rivets) you can use an ooops rivets that has the -4 body (fits #30 holes) and still has the flush head of the smaller rivet (-3 which uses a #40 drill bit).

Or check with Vans and use a flush blind rivet for that ONE hole and move on...

Aaarghh- working through the "Z" bracket platenuts on the second wing now...

Regards,

PS- 1st time builder here- opinions much wiser than mine may vary...

K1000-4 platenuts

John,

The -4 is the thread size indicating they are for 1/4-28 bolts. They are attached with -3 rivets, not -4's. Make sure you are trying to install the correct platenuts.

OK I guess.

Thank you guys. I can take all the eductating I can get. OK, I get it, I think. It does seem strange the the attachment holes in the K1000-4 are larger than the K1000-3 and the K1100-8 and others and the attachement hole in the K1000-4 takes a -4 rivet perfectly and looks oversized for a -3. Given that I drilled one hole for a -4 rivet and the plate-nut fits it, I will use a larger rivet there and procede to follow the instructiond from that point forward. Ah, such a skeptic I am.

Sounds fishey to me

My K1000-4 platenuts had mounting holes for -3 rivets. If your do not, you certainly do not want to install rivets that are too small for the holes.

I would ask Van's about the apparently oversized mounting holes.

k1000-4 plant-nuts

Dave, I agree. I keep thinking I am looking at the wrong plate-nuts. The are in a bag of misc. hardware that is marked as containing 6 K1000-4 platenutes. I am probably overlooking something.

OK, I just got off the phone with Ken. He also noted that he has not seen a K1000-4 that takes a -4 rivet and suggest that it is possible that I am not really looking at the correct plate-nut. It possible that the wrong plate-nut was placed in the bag. I'll check this out this evening when I get home.

Last edited:
Back