What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing skin gap is this normal?

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Okay, I didn't think much of it till I was helping a buddy rivet the bottom skins on his -10 wing. Looking at my wing and how the main skins mate to the leading edge & tank skins... I have a .025"-.029" gap through which you can see the gold spar. The skins are match drilled but I have not yet riveted as I am working on the tanks at the moment. I figure just let it be since the kit is pre-punched. But just wondering if this is how the skins normally fit before its riveted together. The -10 wings have essentially 0 gap. Are there tighter skin cutting tolerances between the two kits?

Just another data point, but the skins on my -10 wings have zero gap. I actually had to be careful to butt them up so they didn't catch and overlap when I put the leading edges on.

I would make a quick call to Van's but I believe you will find this to be pretty normal. I am assisting another 7 builder and he has about the same amount of gap.

When you rivet them on, the gap should close. Rivets pull things tighter than the clecos. I presume you will rivet from the trailing edge toward the leading edge.

Build on.

Greg

You'll rivet in an L pattern and as you progress you'll be surprised how much the
Wing skins will move and that gap will disappear
Smilin Jack

Gap

I made sure I had some gap on the wings of my 8 . If you look a some finished planes the paint looks better when it has a gap to "roll" into . Whith a tight fit the paint " bridges " across . Just my opinion .
Tom

Daniel,

I was a little concerned with the gap you are referring to. After I riveted the top skins the gap closed up some. Now that they are riveted I have no more than .02" between the leading edge and the top main skins.

Daniel,

I was a little concerned with the gap you are referring to. After I riveted the top skins the gap closed up some. Now that they are riveted I have no more than .02" between the leading edge and the top main skins.

Nice to here your making progress Brad.

Following up on my own question with the conclusion in my building experience.. :) I'm learning not to worry so much!!! The gaps between the wing skins, leading edge skin and tank skin definately tighten up after final assembly & riveting. I no have ZERO gap without using straps etc. I may even have to pull off my right tank again & shave off / deburr a little more because it's too tight.

Last edited:
I too have SD ER tanks I just finished on my 10 and near zero gap. I filed a little bit off but when I installed bolts and screws the gap disappeared!? Won’t this be an issue when time to paint???

Attachments

• IMG_9141.jpg
    IMG_9141.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 51
Paint gap

I too have SD ER tanks I just finished on my 10 and near zero gap. I filed a little bit off but when I installed bolts and screws the gap disappeared!? Won’t this be an issue when time to paint???

You need a gap for paint (~.020"-.030") or the products will bridge and later the bridge will crack.

Just another data point, but the skins on my -10 wings have zero gap. I actually had to be careful to butt them up so they didn't catch and overlap when I put the leading edges on.

Having zero gap before paint did not cause an issue? I had none either but I was adjusting to have 1-2mm for paint

Back