What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing skin damage?

Folks - I'm an experienced aircraft builder, new to the RV world. I'm looking at buying an in-process project (an RV-7). It is very well constructed in general, and numerous people have checked/supported the build to date. However, there is one spot of hangar rash that has me wondering what to do. There is a dent/scrape on the very inboard end of the leading edge at the wing root. I'm trying to understand if I need to replace the skin, or can I just repair the contour and move on. Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Attachments

• Image-8.jpg
    Image-8.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 218
Repair

If you were to replace that skin then it would imply building an entire new fuel tank.

However, I think that it's not necessary do that and that the damaged area may be worked back into shape as best you can. Then, the wing root fairings will also cover much of that area.

I would work it out the best you can and simply make your wing root fairing a little wider to cover it.

You can work that out with a body hammer and dolly. I had the exact same dent on mine and now you can’t tell it was there

First thing I'd do ... check the tank for leakage. If it is bent badly enough it may have developed a leak. And that would certainly change the equation for what to do. Or the tank may have other leaks....

Back