What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing rotator question

I had an earlier simpler version that AC Spruce used to sell, but I used it to roll a completed wing for painting. My thoughts are that it would not be stable enought to construct a wing on. You may wind up with unwanted warping or washout. It did work well to flip a completed wing for painting, though.

Roberta

I have my -10 wings on a rotisserie I fabricated using two cheap engine stands. I am attaching the bottom skins now. All the holes line up and its straight. Its nice being able to stand straight and work.

My thinking is that by the time you built enough of the wing to be rigid in the stand, you're almost done.

I put my bottom skins on while in a wing stand with the wing vertical. Being able to rotate the wing may have made it a little easier, but it really wasn't a big deal. It's going to be tedious regardless of the approach you take.

I would save your money, unless you are planning on painting the wings yourself.

Wing Rotator

I agree with Bob having now almost completed my slow build wings (Very very slow and tedious!) I can not see any particular main advantages for the rotating frame supports whilst building. Like Bob, I have stood my wings up in a trolley on castors and will be putting the bottom skins in the same manner.

The worst part about the wings is the amount of de-burring!

Back