What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root seal

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried using wing root seal on the -10 similar to the -7? I just finished attaching my left wing and was looking at the possibility of water, etc entering the wing at the transition and was thinking of installing a seal.
Bill

I did seal my skin joints during fuse build for the same reason. Also thought i might float longer if I ditch in water- just kidding. I too will be interested in the replies.

Wayne,
What did you seal it with? I am going to pick up a piece of the RV7 seal from a friend today and see how it looks.
Bill

Yes...

I did. It looks much better, and I'm sure helps keep the water out. I used a single piece starting at the rear of the top wing and went all the way around and terminated it under the upper gear leg fairing on the bottom of the wing.

Vic

I used some black automotive trim from NAPA and it is holding up just fine after nearly three years. Sorry, I don't have a photo.

U-channel wing root seal.

Many builders have used this for various edge trimming aplications, including wing roots. I've had it on my Rocket for 7 years and it still looks new.

Same as Elevator seal

For my -10 I got more length of then same material (from Vans) as was used around the elevator. I needed about 12 feet on each side to cover the top all the way down to where it goes flat underneath and there is metal overlap.

Back