What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root rubber seal

Vlad

Well Known Member
Do you guys glue it to the aluminum trim? I was struggling today to put it in place the thing several times slipped out of its place. Gap per Vans drawings.

rubberseal.jpg

Only on the bottom. Goop Automotive Trim Adhesive works well. I used a little bit of tape on the inside of the fairing to hold the rubber in place.

The thing is, you will want to remove this for painting.

I just finished mine and have had them on and off several times, never had them slip off when installing. I have a 0.150" gap all along. The only time I had a problem was when I had the seal upside down. The rubber tab that extends and contacts the side of the fuse wants to be parallel to the OUTSIDE of the wing skin. If you have it parallel to the inside of the wing skin (i.e. upside down) it is a lot harder to put on since it has to bend thru a much smaller radius. Try flipping it over and see if that helps before bonding it.

I did not glue mine on until one day leaving Ely (NV) after the plane sat in the sun for most of the day, I took off and heard this horrible banging/drumming sound. Landed and it was the fairing seal on the side that had been facing the sun. Flew home without it in place (no big deal) and then used some clear silicone to glue it onto the fairing. No issues since then. Should be removable if I need to do so. Note that I did this after paint, however, since paint and silicone are pretty much incompatible.

There are some archival discussions on this.

And as Noah said, make sure it's not on upside down (or is it inside out?).

cheers,
greg

Vlad my main gear fairings lock the lower edge in place. The upper side end is fastened with double sided tape along about 12 inches long the end. The painters put the tape on.

Back