What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root height?

cjensen

Well Known Member
Was wondering if someone could tell me, or measure the height of the wing root. I see the steps are an option on the fuselage order form, and thought if it wasn't too high, that I'd skip 'em to save weight, time, and drag. We're young builders and it looks like boarding wouldn't be too bad without 'em. I know there is a retractable step kit out there, but looks like it requires a slider...planning a tip up. I could carry around a mini step if I needed to, I suppose...

Yes, after four or five months of thinking about this, I decided to switch to building a -7A. :)

You'll want at least one

Only the tallest, most agile people would be able to comfortably step up without a step on a -7A. It is taller than a -6A and would just be a hassle for shorter passengers. I guess you could have a small step ladder that you could take with you, but then you would have the weight of that which is one thing you wanted to avoid!

IMHO

You'll definetly need something to get up there. Just add the step ups and install a bigger motor!

-Jeff

Chad, think about it another way... if you do not install the steps, you will probably regret it, and I am not sure how easy a retrofit is. If you do install them, I doubt you will ever say "I wish I hadn't installed them".

Sure you could carry a mini-step, but you still have to get down in the first place, and jumping down each time seems a little impracticle if not dangerous(IMHO). Just food for thought.

Yes.

Chad,
Our 6A is a lot lower than a 7A and we have two steps......no regrets at all. We run 204 MPH TAS with a fixed pitch 180 HP. The only other protrusions are the comm and transponder antennas. The VOR is in one wingtip, the Marker beacon in the other.....keep it clean.
Regards,

Chad, I looked at this early on. The -6 I have been flying has no steps and it isn't TOO bad. The owner is a little shorter than I am (I'm 5'11") and he has a little trouble.

I tryed to get in Vans 7A last year at Oshvegas without using the step. Forget it.

Thanks for the input guys! My wife is 4' 11", and if people of 5' 10" stature are having troubles, it looks like I need the steps... :rolleyes:

Definitely.....

Hey Chad,
Just don't have two people on the steps at the same time........the tail will hit the ground! :eek:

Go TD, my wife, also a petite woman has no issue climbing in without the weight drag of steps.

We have been practice sitting in it...not flying but airplane noises are more fun with your wife, than alone.

Back