What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root gap seal adhesive

jcbarker

Well Known Member
Hello All,

If you've been searching in vain for an adhesive that works on the "h" shaped rubber weather strip used on the wing root fairing, I have a solution.

What I tried that DIDN'T work:
ProSeal
Sika Flex
Silicon rubber adhesive (several types)
Contact cement
Loctite acrylic two part adhesive 3032. This was recommended by Loctite.

You get the idea; nothing seemed to work. I called Van's and learned from them that they haven't found anything either. (One might ask why they don't change the material; but I digress). They did tell me who the manufacturer is who in turn told me the material is a blend of EPDM and Polypropelene. No wonder nothing sticks!

Loctite's second recommendation was Prism 435 (a cyanoacrylate) used in conjunction with Primer 770. Bingo! Excellent results! When trying to peal off the rubber channel the rubber tore instead of just separating at the glue line like everything else I tried.

Application procedure:
-Apply primer to elastomer.
-Let dry for 30 minutes.
-Scuff aluminum and clean with MEK.
-Fit channel to aluminum.
-Run thin bead on between rubber and aluminum. I applied adhesive to only one side.
-Tape down to aluminum.
-Cure over night.

Hope this helps someone...

John
RV-8 819WB
In fiberglass ****...

3M Weatherstrip Adhesive

I blew mine out a couple of times at high speed but the 3M yellow weather strip adhesive has held them in for two years now.

Bob Axsom

If the fairings are fitted properly, you shouldn't need any adhesive. Mine has been flying for over 14 years without anything. Just the pressure held between the fairing and the fuselage.

Mel,

I hear that often. I also hear Bob's comment a lot. Seems where it pulls out is along the bottom where the fairing and the fuse taper to a point. There isn't any fuse left to capture the rubber. Some have just cut the rubber channel short so it's always captured.

JB

Bob Axsom said:
I blew mine out a couple of times at high speed but the 3M yellow weather strip adhesive has held them in for two years now.
Ditto! Works great!

Mine blew out at the top from the TE

When I pulled up after the finish line at AirVenture Cup 2005 I was well over ... well let's just say very fast after a dive for the line it blew out and went into a fuse and wing banging cycle (probably in a vortex). The other time was also on the fat side of the red line. Mine are pressure loaded in the installation and I doubt that they would ever come out at normal speeds but 3M Weather Strip Adhesive keeps them in all the time.

Bob Axsom

The 3m weather strip adhesive is easy to find at auto parts stores. I've also seen it at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Wal-Mart.

Back